Monday, August 30, 2004

A large part of why I haven't been keeping this site updated is because I've been spending a lot of time playing Kingdom of Loathing, an online game that is very addicting. But I seem to be nearing the end of the adventures created for the game, so it's starting to get a little boring.

Anyway, it might be nice to list books I've read more often than once a month, so here goes.

  • Spider-Man's Tangled Web by various. (I can't find it at Amazon.) Odd-ball Spider-Man stories. (Checked out of the library.)
  • 40 oz. Collected by Jim Mahfood. (Library.)
  • New X-Men, vol. 3 by Grant Morrison, et al. (Man, I wish Amazon's search function worked better with graphic novels. I can't tell if they don't have this particular volume or if I just can't find it. Of course, part of the problem is the way that Marvel names & numbers hardbacks vs. paperbacks. More on that at a later date.) The final year or so of Morrison's run on X-Men. Good stuff.
  • Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust. This is set in the same world as Brust's Taltos novels, but the emphasis is different. This feels a lot like a retold fairy tale. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  • The Forbidden Book: Journeys into the Mystic by various. (Boy, I'm not having much luck finding stuff on Amazon today, am I?) A variety of short stories involving magic. Eh.
  • CMX Preview 2004 by various. (Okay, I'm not surprised Amazon didn't have this one. It's a free sampler of manga titles from CMX.)
  • Mother, Come Home by Paul Hornschemeier. A touching account of a boy & his father trying to cope with the boy's mother's suicide. Very good. (Library.)
  • The Devil's Footprints by Scott Allie, Paul Lee, & Brian Horton. A pretty good horror story. (Library.)
  • Astro Boy, vol. 22 by Osamu Tezuka. (Library.)
  • Strange Kiss by Warren Ellis. I like Ellis's stuff, but sometimes I find it difficult to describe. This is odd, but good.
  • Human Target: Strike Zones by Peter Milligan & Javier Pulido. I enjoy this series, but the explaining the premise would take more time than I feel like right now. Maybe later.
  • Exiles, vol. 4: Legacy by Judd Winick, Jim Calafiore, & Ken Walker. This is the last volume of the Winick-written Exiles that I needed to get. Occasionally I wonder if this series would appeal to somebody who isn't familiar with the Marvel universe & all its intricacies, but the backstory for one of the plotlines in this collection is from a time after I stopped reading X-Men, and I enjoyed it fine.
  • Drawn & Quarterly Showcase, Book 2 by various. (Library.)


And that's where I'm going to stop for now, because the next book I read is one that I didn't like, and I want to talk about just why I didn't like it (along with a couple others that I didn't enjoy), and the PSU library will be closing soon enough that I don't think I can get my rant done in time. I hope to finish updating later in the week.

No comments: