Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I guess I should talk a bit about how my first day at the canvassing job went.

I was very nervous about going door to door & talking to people. That feeling was compounded somewhat by my awareness of just how much older I am than the vast majority of the other people doing this job. The guy who trained me is only 19; I'm nearly twice his age.

So for the first part I watched him work, then I was supposed to do the talking while he watched. But not once did he let me finish the spiel. Every single time I talked to somebody while he was there, he stepped in & took over. This made me feel like I was doing a horrible job & that my first day would be my last. However, once I started working on my own & was able to actually talk to people (even if I was a little hesitant), I started gaining some more confidence. Talking to some people back at the office helped too. I think I'll get the hang of this.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention just how old the job makes me feel. I'm not the oldest person working there, but the vast majority of the other canvassers are quite young & full of fire & idealism. It makes me feel ancient.

No comments: