Sunday, May 23, 2010

New Book Series Begun
  1. Storm Front by Jim Butcher. My gaming group will soon be starting to play the Dresden Files role-playing game. So I'm reading the novels to see what the world is like. I quite enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading more. (Borrowed from Michael.)
  2. Beyond! by Dwayne McDuffie & Scott Kolins. I'd heard very positive things about this book, and they are well-deserved. McDuffie is a great comics writer & deserves more work and respect.
  3. Northlanders Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow by Brian Wood, et al. More stories about vikings. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. GrimJack: The Manx Cat by John Ostrander and Timothy Truman. I read this when it first appeared online. Then I bough the issues when they were published. Now I have the collection. Ostrander is one of my favorite comics writers, and I want to support him. A new John Gaunt story. I hope there are more to come and that we will see the rest of the original run of GrimJack collected.
  5. Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Fall of Gilead by Robin Furth, Peter David, & Richard Isanove. The latest graphic novel prequel to King's Dark Tower novels. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  6. Counter X, vol. 3: X-Man by Warren Ellis, Steven Grant, & Ariel Olivetti. The best of these three collections of X-comics from the 90s. (Library.)
  7. Showcase Presents World's Finest Vol. 2 by various. More Silver Age wackiness with Superman & Batman.
  8. R. Crumb's America by Robert Crumb. Yes, the man is twisted & has a horrible attitude towards women. But, boy can he draw.


Only one movie this time:
  • Woman of the Year. Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy are great, of course. But the gender politics of any 1942 movie are going to seem skewed to modern sensibilities. (Spoilers to a 68-year-old movie follow.) I would have been okay with the ending if they had actually shown us some of the characters' compromise. But ending it right after they decide to work on their marriage felt very unsatisfying.

No comments: