Sunday, November 09, 2008

A Few Words about Some Books

  1. Showcase Presents Legion of Super-Heroes, vol. 2 by various. This volume contains the debut comics work by Jim Shooter. Stories written when he was 13. Which might explain how, in one of them, he tried make the reader believe that the Legionnaire who would betray Earth was NOT the newly-introduced Nemesis Kid.
  2. Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight by Chris Onstad. I had heard about the web strip Achewood, but the art style put me off, and I never got into it. Then this collection came out, and I kept reading how good this storyline was, so I decided to take a look. I have to admit, it's pretty damn good. I still think the art is incredibly ugly, though. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. Gimmick, vol. 1 by Youzaburou Kanari & Kuroko Yabusuchi. Manga about a make-up artist. (Library.)
  4. Where the Deep Ones Are by Kenneth Hite & Andy Hopp. Mixing Maurice Sendak & H.P. Lovecraft.
  5. Essential Man Thing, vol. 2 by various. More adventures of the muck-encrusted mockery of a man.
  6. Owly, vol. 5: Tiny Tales by Andy Runton. More cute, wordless stories. (Borrowed from Teena's classroom.)
  7. Marvel Adventures Avengers, vol. 7: Weirder and Wilder by Jeff Parker & Ig Guara. I say this every time I read a Marvel Adventures collection, but some of the best super-hero comics being written today are aimed at children.
  8. Ex Machina, vol. 7: Ex Cathedra by Brian K. Vaughan & Tony Harris. Still enjoying this.
  9. Crossing Midnight, vol. 3: The Sword in the Soul by Mike Carey & Jim Fern. The final volume of this series involving Japanese yokai. I liked the concept, and I guess I should have bought the issues as they came out. If more people had, this might not be the final volume. But I'd rather have collections than individual issues.
  10. Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home by Robin Furth, Peter David, & Jae Lee. And now, a Dark Tower comic that isn't an adaptation of pre-existing stories.
  11. The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher & Ardian Syaf. I've never read the novels, and I only saw a couple of episodes of the TV show, but I thought I'd give this graphic novel a try. The story is pretty good. Not the best art, but at least the characters look the same from panel to panel, and the artist can tell a story using pictures.

No comments: