Sunday, November 16, 2008

Taking a Break from Animal Crossing

Teena & I just picked up the latest Animal Crossing game, so I'm going to try to keep this short as I want to get back to our cute new town.

  1. The Martian Conspiracy, vol. 1 by Jason McNamara & Paige Braddock. Pretty good science fiction action story. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. JLA: That Was Now, This Is Then by Roger Stern & John Byrne. I have to admit this wasn't Stern's best story, but he has written some great super-hero comics in the past, and he deserves my support.
  3. Blue Beetle, vol. 4: Endgame by John Rogers, Rafael Albuquerque, et al. Now this is a fun comic. It makes me feel like I did when I read comics as a kid. Highly recommended.
  4. Bat-Manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan by Jiro Kuwata. This is a collection of 60's Batman comics from when the TV show was airing in Japan. These stories are insane. Imagine goofy silver-age comics viewed through a filter of Japanese culture. I especially love the story where a gorilla has acquired the intelligence level of the scientist who was experimenting on him (the ape), but the gorilla knows it will revert to its original state in a few days so it sets out to capture Batman & perform the experiment again so it can acquire Batman's intelligence. I said the stories were insane.
  5. Empowered, vol. 3 by Adam Warren.
  6. Hikaru no Go, vol. 13: Professional Match by Yumi Hotta & Takeshi Obata. More manga about go.
  7. Herbie Archives, vol. 1 by Shane O'Shea & Ogden Whitney. Oh, so strange. Comics about a fat kid who doesn't speak in complete sentences & who is constantly sucking on a lollipop. But he is known and respected around the world & throughout time. Bizarre & wonderful comics. (Library.)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, vol. 1 by Akira Himekawa. Reading this manga made me want to play the game again.
  9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, vol. 3: Wolves at the Gate by Drew Goddard, Joss Whedon, & Georges Jeanty. I continue to enjoy these comics. And they're definitely doing things that would be impossible with a TV show's special effects budget.
  10. Prince of Persia: The Graphic Novel by A. B. Sina & LeUyen Pham. A good story, but only slightly related to the video games. (Library.)
  11. Love & Rockets: New Stories, no. 1 by Los Bros Hernandez. When I first started reading Love & Rockets (man, that was 20 years ago), I preferred Beto's work over Jaime's (Mario's has never really worked for me), but nowadays it's the reverse. I think it's because Beto has moved away from the Gabriel Garcia Marquez-esque Palomar stories. Still great stuff, though.


Now, back to Animal Crossing: City Folk.

No comments: