Thursday, August 12, 2004

Wow, May was the last time I updated the movie list. Since it's been so long, I'll leave out the Amazon links (I'm just too lazy).
Movies, videos, DVDs
  • X-Files, season 1. I didn't start watching the show until sometime after the first season, but reruns have meant that I had seen most of these episodes. But there were still several that were new to me. Good stuff. Man, if only they'd pulled the plug on this show a couple seasons earlier. (Checked out of the library, but I don't know why I just didn't just borrow this from Michael.)
  • Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. The 6-episode tv series that came before the book. Not the best special effects, but generally well done.
  • Amelie. Teena & I saw this at Pix. Their Tuesday night movies tend to be a lot of fun.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Diabolik. The final MST3K; cheesy Italian caper movie. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Bloodlust. (Teena.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Rocket Attack USA. (Teena.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Teenage Caveman. (Teena.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent. (Teena.)
  • Chappelle's Show, Season One Uncensored. Dave Chappelle is a funny, funny man.
  • The Lion King. Disney does Hamlet.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Violent Years. (Teena.)
  • The Odd Couple. The movie, not the tv show. (Library.)
  • M*A*S*H, season 1. Watching this made me realize that I'm still burned out on this show. It's very good, but I watched way too much of it when it was syndicated. If they released a "Best of" DVD set, I might get that, but I won't be buying any more seasons.
  • The Sopranos, season 4. (Library.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Bride of the Monster. (Teena.)
  • Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban. Teena & I went to see this. Much better than the first two movies; I wish this director were sticking around for the rest of the series. It was nice to see a film directed by somebody who understood that books & film are different media & have different needs.
  • Six String Samurai. Several of us went over to Alex's & watched this post-apocalyptic story. I enjoyed what I saw of it. Unfortunately, thanks to a combination of lack of sleep the night before, anti-histamines, and a single beer, I was nodding off during most of the movie.
  • Godzilla. This is the original Japanese movie, not the American version that added Raymond Burr. Very good movie.
  • Shrek 2. Teena & I saw this together. Very entertaining, but I don't quite see why these two movies are as extraordinarily popular as they are. I enjoy them, but I don't quite get what it is that so many people seem to get out of them.
  • Spider-Man 2. Teena & I went to see this with a couple of friends. (Hi, Harmony & Topher!) Lot's of fun. It is so gratifying to see good superhero movies.
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Michael had a Doctor Who marathon that Teena & I attended. He tried to show a sampling of the various Doctors. This was the William Hartnell entry.
  • Doctor Who: The Three Doctors.
  • Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang. An excellent Tom Baker adventure.
  • Doctor Who: The Curse of Fenric. The more I see of Sylvester McCoy's later episodes, the more I like him. I think he may have overtaken Tom Baker as my favorite Doctor.
  • Northern Exposure, season 1. A nice, quirky little show. But now that I've seen it again, I'm feeling less of a need to own the series. However, I'll be more than happy to borrow DVDs from other people. (Borrowed from my mom.)
  • The Best of Insomniac with Dave Attell, vol. 2. What can I say? Sometimes I like low-brow humor.
  • Robin Williams Live on Broadway. (Borrowed from Mom.)
  • Monty Python's The Life of Brian. This movie was re-released to theaters as a sort of anti-Passion of the Christ, but it took a while for it to get to the Hollywood Theater. It had been years since I'd seen this movie, and this was the first time I'd seen it on the big screen. Very funny. I'd have to say that this is Python's best film. It's one story, not a bunch of sketches strung together.
  • The West Wing, season 1. I don't know why I didn't watch this show from the beginning, but damn it was good right from the start. (Library.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: I Accuse My Parents. (Teena.)
  • The Muppet Movie. Another Pix movie watched with Teena.
  • I, Robot. This is a perfectly fine action movie if you can just ignore the idea that it has anything to do with Asimov's stories. Yeah, there are plot holes, but it's an action movie. Teena & I enjoyed it.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Magic Sword. (Teena.)
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Gunslinger. (Teena.)
  • Seeing Other People. Pretty funny.
  • The Chronicles of Riddick. This is a bad, bad movie. Don't get me wrong; it is entertaining, but is is simply awful. If you're considering seeing this movie, my best advice is to go in with low expectations and try to disengage your brain. I believe Teena would agree with me.
  • The Bourne Supremacy. Teena & I have been going to quite a few movies together since school got out. This was very good.
  • The Essential Clash. A collection of videos. I like The Clash very much, but these videos aren't all that interesting. They're mostly just shots of the band performing.
  • You Bet Your Life. A game show where the highlight isn't whether or not the contestants won but rather the host talking to the contestants. Groucho Marx was a very funny man.
  • The Jack Benny Show. I have to say this didn't excite me all that much. Jokes that weren't very funny & songs I don't care about. Not my cup of tea. But the Christmas episode was interesting.

No comments: