Saturday, May 14, 2005

Wow, it's only been a week since I last updated books

  1. Elektra: The Scorpio Key by Brian Michael Bendis & Chuck Austen. Not the best work by either creator.
  2. Owly, vol. 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton. This is a very sweet, wordless comic for all ages. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1 by various. Not as good as Mignola's version, but there's some interesting stuff here.
  4. Captain America, vol. 2: The Extremists by John Ney Rieber, Chuck Austen, Trevor Hairsine, & Jae Lee. Not recommended. (Library.)
  5. Hewligan's Haircut by Peter Milligan & Jaime Hewlett. Extremely silly.
  6. The Josh Kirby Discworld Portfolio. (Library.)
  7. Bleach, vol. 2: Good-Bye Parakeet, Good Night My Sister by Tite Kubo. As you may be able to tell from the lack of a link, this is manga. I can find volumes 4-8 on Amazon, but not 1-3. (Library.)
  8. The White Elephant by Damon Hurd & Christopher Steininger. A semi-autobiographical story. (Library.)
  9. Bleach, vol. 3: Memories in the Rain by Tite Kubo. (Library.)
  10. Doctor Mid-Nite by Matt Wagner & John K. Snyder III. I'm glad I didn't buy this full price. It's okay, but definitely not worth $20.
  11. Inu-Yasha, vol. 17 by Rumiko Takahashi. Amazingly enough, I didn't have any difficulty finding this on Amazon. Probably because this series & the anime based on it are very popular. (Library.)
  12. Zippy: From Here to Absurdity by Bill Griffith. A year's worth of Zippy the Pinhead cartoons (from 2004). Strange stuff. (Library.)
  13. Owly, vol. 2: Just a Little Blue by Andy Runton. Just as cute as the first volume. (Library.)
  14. Inu-Yasha, vol. 18 by Rumiko Takahashi. I've said it before, but I think this is the best of Takahashi's work. She combines action, adventure, and romance together very well in these stories about a dog-demon in Feudal Japan. (Library.)
  15. Inu-Yasha, vol. 19 by Rumiko Takahashi. I like this series enough that I'd like to own them, but at $9 a pop and over 20 volumes published so far (and no end in sight), I think I'll content myself with checking them out of the (Library.)
  16. Inu-Yasha, vol. 20 by Rumiko Takahashi. I've noticed that the books do not advance the story further than the anime episodes shown on Cartoon Network. That is, the books are not released until the same part of the story has aired on television. But that may just be an artifact of me not getting the books as soon as they're published. (Library.)
  17. The Names of Magic by Dylan Horrocks & Richard Case. I picked this up because I loved Hicksville so much, but this wasn't nearly as good. I think that's because Horrocks wasn't telling a story of his own, but one using a pre-existing character.
  18. Inu-Yasha, vol. 21 by Rumiko Takahashi. (Library.)

No comments: