Saturday, February 10, 2007

Well, Blogger finally forced me switch to the new version. If anything goes wrong, I blame them.

I've been home sick for most of the week. I was sick enough that I didn't feel like updating, even though I had the time.

Books
  1. Coyote, vol. 4 by Steve Englehart, Chaz Truog, et al. This volume included Todd McFarlane's first published comics work. That is not why I bought it.
  2. Defenders: Indefensible by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, & Kevin Maguire. Slightly silly Defenders story from the people who made the Justice League fun.
  3. Seven Soldiers of Victory, vol. 1 by Grant Morrison, et al.
  4. Seven Soldiers of Victory, vol. 2 by Grant Morrison, et al.
  5. Seven Soldiers of Victory, vol. 3 by Grant Morrison, et al.
  6. Seven Soldiers of Victory, vol. 4 by Grant Morrison, et al. This has to be the best superhero cross-over I've read (even if the superheroes don't meet each other). I'm sure that's due to the fact that it's not trying to create huge changes in the "universe." It's just an attempt to revitalize some characters/character concepts. I'm glad the entire thing is now available in book form (although it would probably be better if it were one book rather than four).
  7. Four Bastards by Robin D. Laws. This is an adventure for the Feng Shui role-playing game.
  8. Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis & Adi Granov. Good, but not Ellis's best.
  9. The Order of the Stick, vol. 2: No Cure for the Paladin Blues by Rich Burlew. For an online comic strip that started out as a means to make fun of the rules peculiarities found in Dungeons & Dragons, this has become quite the humor/adventure strip. Highly recommended. Check it out for free via the link in my sidebar.
  10. The Drifting Classroom, vol. 3 by Kazuo Umezu. Things continue to get stranger & stranger. (Checked out of the library.)
  11. Rex Mundi, book 1: The Guardian of the Temple by Arvid Nelson & Eric Johnson. Film Noir-ish story set in an alternate world where magic works & the Reformation never happened. I enjoyed it, but the story wasn't nearly complete. This was much more about setting up the world than anything else. (Library.)
  12. Penny Arcade, vol. 1: Attack of the Bacon Robots by Jerry Holkins & Mike Krahulik. I've never followed the online comic strip. I've just never been deep enough into video games to really be able to follow it. But they can be very funny. However, even with the annotations that come with this book, I was still left not knowing what the hell they were talking about. (Library.)
  13. The Legend of GrimJack, vol. 6 by John Ostrander & Tom Mandrake. Excellent writing here. The art's a little rough, but my disappointment may stem from knowing how good Mandrake will get. The comics reprinted here are closing in on 20 years old, and Mandrake has improved tremendously in the meantime. I'm looking forward to the next volume.
  14. Doom Patrol, vol. 5: Magic Bus by Grant Morrison, Richard Case, & Ken Steacy. More adventures of the strangest superhero group ever.


Movies

No comments: