Sunday, November 02, 2008

Back Up to Speed

Got a few more books read this past week.

  1. The Savage Sword of Conan, vol. 1 by Roy Thomas, John Buscema, Barry Windsor Smith, et al. Reprints from the magazine Marvel published in the 70s. The stories can get somewhat repetitive, but they're still entertaining.
  2. Super Spy by Matt Kindt. Very impressive. An assortment of related spy stories set in WWII. Extremely well done. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. MySpace Dark Horse Presents, vol. 1 by various. As with any anthology, the quality of the stories varies, but there is more good here than not. (Library.)
  4. Aetheric Mechanics by Warren Ellis & Gianluca Pagliarani. This is steampunkish, and therefore I bought it. I liked it, but there is a revelation that comes near the end that I don't quite buy. On the other hand, I do like how the characters react to that revelation.
  5. Miki Falls, vol. 2: Summer by Mark Crilley. Manga-ish & very well done. (Library.)
  6. Miki Falls, vol. 3: Autumn by Mark Crilley. (Library.)
  7. Miki Falls, vol. 4: Winter by Mark Crilley. (Library.)
  8. Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, vol. 3. More sweet, funny comic strips.
  9. The Goon: Chinatown and the Mystery of Mr. Wicker by Eric Powell. A serious story about the Goon's past. (Library.)
  10. Cthulhu Tales, vol. 1 by various. Another anthology. I especially liked the story about a grade-school production of The King In Yellow, but I think it needed more room to develop. (Library.)
  11. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Another enjoyable book from Gaiman. This one made me want to read The Jungle Book, since I only know the stories from the Disney movie (and I haven't seen that since I was a child) and a handful of comic book adaptations. As it is, I was only able to see the broadest of parallels (although I don't know that the correspondences go beyond the most basic of levels).
  12. Meow, Baby! by Jason. Largely silent comics involving a variety of monsters. (Library.)

No comments: