Sunday, December 20, 2009

Light Week

  1. Echo, vol. 2: Atomic Dreams by Terry Moore. Somewhat slow-moving, but I like the way the story is building. I'm assuming Moore has an ending in mind. Glad I started reading this.
  2. Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. Great steampunk novel, with zombies! Teena read this a little while ago, and her description made me want to read it. But I got distracted by other books and it slipped from my consciousness. Then I heard an interview with Priest on the podcast War Rocket Ajax, and that moved the book into "read now" territory. I really enjoyed this and can't wait to read the sequel that Priest is working on. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  3. Batman: The Black Glove by Grant Morrison, J.H. Williams III, & Tony Daniel. I didn't much care for this. I could see hints of what I think Morrison was trying to do (and that I liked), but for the most part, the art wasn't up to the task. And I know the story isn't done yet. Maybe I'll change my mind once I read Batman R.I.P., but I'm not confident.
  4. New Avengers, vol. 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme by Brian Michael Bendis, Billy Tan, & Chris Bachalo. Not great, but interesting enough to keep me checking these out of the library.
  5. Daredevil: Return of the King by Ed Brubaker, Michael Lark, & David Aja. The end of Brubaker's run. Interesting change in the character's status quo. (Library.)
  6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, vol. 5: Predators & Prey by various. Still pretty good.


A few movies this week:
  • RiffTrax Live: Christmas Shorts-stravaganza. Making fun of a bunch of Christmas-themed (and a couple non-Christmassy) short films. Very funny, although there was not enough of guest-riffer "Weird Al" Yankovic.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Corpse Vanishes. Bela Lugosi film from MST3K's first season. Kind of rough in places. They got better at making fun of bad movies.
  • Die Hard. This is NOT the fourth of our annual Christmas movies. We were visiting some friends, and when they learned that I had never seen it, insisted that that situation be corrected. It's a great action film. I missed it when it first came out and never felt strongly enough to seek it out.
  • Babylon 5, Season 1: Signs and Portents. Teena had never seen this series, so we're working through the DVDs. There were times when I had to tell her that the series gets better after the first season. (I really hope that just isn't nostalgia talking.) The acting does get better in the latter half of the season, and I'm hoping that trend continues.

No comments: