Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!
  1. American Vampire, vol. 1 by Scott Snyder, Stephen King, & Rafael Albuquerque.

    Despite all the comics with his name on them, this is the only one that Stephen King is actually involved in (as far as I know). (Borrowed from Teena.)
  2. John Constantine: Hellblazer - All His Engines by Mike Carey & Leonardo Manco. I finally got around to getting a copy of this. Carey's run on Hellblazer was great, as is this graphic novel.
  3. Iron Man: Deadly Solutions by Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen. I am sure Marvel put this out to capitalize on the movies. It's okay but nothing special. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. Farscape, vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning by Rockne S. O'Bannon, Keith R.A. DeCandido, & Tommy Patterson. This certainly captures the feel of the show. Scarcely surprising, since the story is by the show's creator.
  5. Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido.

    Absolutely gorgeous art illustrating these noir-ish stories about a private detective. Like Usagi Yojimbo, this tells serious stories using "funny" animals. I hope more stories are coming. (Library.)


I haven't done movies since the Lovecraft Festival. But there's still not much:
    Ghost Rider with the RiffTrax commentary. This is the cheesiest movie I've ever seen, and it is plenty ripe for snarky comments. Unfortunately, three guys who never had anything to do with MST3K do the riffing here. They're okay, but not nearly as good as the MST3K alumni.
  • Dexter: The Third Season I never thought I'd enjoy a show about a serial killer as much as I enjoy this.
  • RiffTrax: House on Haunted Hill This was RiffTrax "Live"*. Many of the same jokes as the DVD release, but plenty of new ones. Plus a couple of new shorts. Very funny.
  • Doctor Who: Battlefield I really liked the character bits, but I can't say the story itself really worked for me. (Not that it's any more ridiculous than other Doctor Who stories.)


*So many live events aren't really live when you live on the west coast.

No comments: