Monday, July 04, 2011

Independence Day

It's a three-day weekend, so my update comes on Monday. (Of course, the 3 or 4 of you who read this probably already know that.)
  1. Thor: Latverian Prometheus by Kieron Gillen & Billy Tan. More Thor comics. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman.

    A nicely-presented short story that tells the tale of when Lee Scoresby met Iorek Byrnison. I really enjoyed it, and it made me want to re-read His Dark Materials. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  3. Vertigo Resurrected: The Sandman Presents: Petrefax by Mike Carey & Steve Leialoha. Collecting a story that must have originally been published after I gave up on Sandman spin-offs, since I had never read it before. Entertaining piece about a minor character from Gaiman's epic.
  4. Level Up by Gene Luen Yang & Thien Pham. A comic about coming to terms with parental expectations. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  5. Fighting American by Joe Simon & Jack Kirby.

    When Simon & Kirby learned that their creation, Captain America, was being revived in the 50s, they decided to try their hands at another patriotic hero. Their new creation lasted longer than the revival.
  6. Invincible Iron Man, vol. 4: Stark Disassembled by Matt Fraction & Salvador Larroca. I picked this up a few months ago, when Fraction did a signing at a local comic shop. Solid super-heroics.
A few movies since last week:
  • Wings of Desire. I saw this in a theater when it was released, back in the late 80s, and I loved it. I hadn't seen it since. While I still liked it, it didn't grab me nearly as much as it did 23 or so years ago. Too slow-moving and not a little pretentious.
  • Doctor Who: Dreamland. Animated Doctor Who story. The writing and acting are fine, but the CGI did not work for either Teena or me.
  • Doctor Who: Earthshock. Adric's final story. Holds up well.

No comments: