Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I better get this thing updated before I start my new job & lose my opportunities to use the web for personal stuff.

Books
  1. Powers, vol. 7: Forever by Brian Michael Bendis & Michael Avon Oeming. The latest collection of Bendis's excellent series about a pair of homicide detectives in a world where superpowers exist.
  2. Ex Machina, vol. 1: The First Hundred Days by Brian K. Vaughan & Tony Harris. Politics mixed with superheroics.
  3. The Iguana by Carlos Trillo & Domingo R. Mandrafina. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, Issue Number 13 by various. A nice selection of work by "alternative cartoonists" (i.e. people who don't deal with superheroes). (Library.)
  5. Atmospherics by Warren Ellis & Ken Meyer, Jr. Nobody else even remotely associated with main stream comics seems to do what Ellis does: create lots of short series and original gramic novels. Everything is centered around ongoing series. I like that when Ellis has an idea, he doesn't feel the need to shoehorn it into a continuing series. If the story he wants to tell is short, he writes a mini-series or an original graphic novel.
  6. John Constantine, Hellblazer: Setting Sun by Warren Ellis et al. With the upcoming movie, DC has been pushing collections from the series. I just wish somebody had told the people who made the movie that Constantine is pronounced with a long "i."
  7. The Viscount of Adrilankha, Book One: The Paths of the Dead by Steven Brust. Both Teena & Michael told me that they didn't enjoy this as much as The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years After, but I found it just as entertaining at the other two. There's still lots of adventure, and it made me laugh quite often. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  8. Love Fights, vol. 2 by Andi Watson. Romance comics used to be big, but like every other genre, they were displaced by superheroes. With Love Fights Watson has combined what would seem to be two incompatible genres. Fun stuff and a lovely, sparce style of art.
  9. Phoenix, vol. 4: Karma the more I read of Tezuka's work, the more impressed I am. He created wonderful, touching stories. (Library.)
  10. Mister O by Lewis Trondheim. (Library.)
  11. Dungeon, vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar & Lewis Trondheim. (Library.)
  12. Hanging Out with the Dream King: Conversations with Neil Gaiman& His Collaborators interviews by Joseph McCabe. After that title, I don't have anything to add.
  13. The Wizard Kereth Cowe-Spigai & Matthew Petz. This is a science fiction romantic comedy that didn't work for me.
  14. Daredevil: Ninja by Brian Michael Bendis & Rob Haynes. I reread this to figure out if it was accessible to somebody who was unfamiliar with Daredevil's history. I think it is; therefore, I'll be loaning it to Teena sometime in the near future.
  15. Bughouse by Steve Lafler. The story of a jazz band, with anthropomorphic bugs.
  16. Baja by Steve Lafler. A sequel to Bughouse.
  17. Avengers: Disassembled by Brian Michael Bendis & David Finch. Bendis caused a big uproar in the fan community with the storyline reprinted in this volume, but I like it quite a bit. However, I don't know that it would be accessible to somebody who isn't at least somewhat familiar with the Avengers.
  18. The Amazing Spider-Man, vol. 3: Until the Stars Turn Cold by J. Michael Straczynski & John Romita, Jr.
  19. Daredevil: Wake Up by Brian Michael Bendis & David Mack. This book collects Bendis's first storyline as writer for Daredevil, but for some reason, it was not collected in one of the hardbacks.
  20. Mad About Comic Strips by "the usual gang of idiots." (Library.)


That's all for now. I'll update movies & games later.

1 comment:

gl. said...

"I better get this thing updated before I start my new job & lose my opportunities to use the web for personal stuff."

what? isn't that -exactly- what you're supposed to be using your work computer for? ;)