Sunday, April 24, 2005

Unfortunately, Blogger's "recover post" feature doesn't work when there's a week between the time the post was lost & the attempt to recover it. So I've got something like 3 weeks worth of books to write about. Fortunately, I haven't finished all that many lately.

Books
  1. Queen & Country, vol 7: Operation Saddlebags by Greg Rucka, Mike Norton, & Steve Rolston. The story collected in this book is the first one where I hadn't read the individual issues first. (I stopped buying them as a way of saving money.)
  2. The Hedge Knight by George R.R. Martin, Ben Avery, Mike S. Miller. This is an adaptation of a short story set in the same work as Martin's A Song of Fire & Ice series (which I haven't read, but I indend to do so someday).
  3. Madrox: Multiple Choice by Peter David & Pablo Raimondi. David revisits characters from his run on X-Factor. I hope this did well enough that there will be more mini-series (and that the X-Factor issues will be collected).
  4. In Nomine Game Master's Guide by David Edelstein. I re-read this in preparation for the In Nomine game I began running last Wednesday.
  5. Buddha, vol. 5: Deer Park by Osamu Tezuka. When Tezuka is on his game (as he is here), I can see why he was called "the god of manga." Simply amazing work. I am very glad the publisher will be releasing paperback editions of these books. (Checked out of the library.)
  6. Star Trek The Next Generation: Forgiveness by David Brin & Scott Hampton. Yes, that David Brin. (Library.)
  7. YuYu Hakusho, vol 4: Training Day by Togashi Yoshihiro. I might have more to say about the contents of the manga books published by Viz if, when I looked them up on Amazon, I could actually find them. It pisses me off to no end that whenever I try to find these books, I end up with a huge list of French translations. If I go over the list, I can find the English translations, but more often than not they're from some other publisher. I can usually find one or two books from the series I'm looking for, but not the particular volumes I want. The advanced search option seems to have been removed from Amazon's website. But it's not like it was that much help anyway. The options for narrowing your search by language were "Spanish" or "All Languages." Bah!
  8. YuYu Hakusho, vol. 5: Focus Your Mind as One by Yoshihiro Togashi.
  9. Knights of the Dinner Table: Bundle of Trouble, vol. 9 by various. This collects 3 issues of the hilarious (but poorly-drawn) comic book series about a group of roleplayers.
  10. Knights of the Dinner Table: Bundle of Trouble, vol. 10 by various.
  11. Bread & Wine: An Erotic Tale of New York by Samuel R. Delany & Mia Wolff. This is an adaptation of a short piece by Delany about how he met his lover. (Library.)
  12. 24 Hour Comics All-Stars by various. This includes a variety of 24 hour comics by comics professionals, including the first one ever created (by Scott McCloud). Paul Smith & Dave Sim are also represented.
  13. Plastic Man: On the Lam! by Kyle Baker. Very silly stuff. Lots of fun. Baker is the perfect choice for this series.
  14. Revelations IV: The Fall of the Malakim by various. In addition to re-reading selected In Nomine books for the game, I am also reading the ones that I never actually got around to before.


Okay, time to try this again. I have already made a copy of the post into Word in case Blogger eats it again. I'll try to update movies later.

No comments: