Thursday, September 29, 2005

I have to admit that it is Friday in certain parts of the country, but it's still Thursday here on the Left Coast, so I'm keeping my promise to write about Serenity before it opens.

I guess a large part of the problem is that this is a movie you really don't want to be spoiled for. At least, not if you're familiar with Firefly. I guess I should have mentioned that a few months back, shouldn't I? (Another large part of the problem is, of course, laziness.)

I really enjoyed the preview when I saw it, and I am very much looking forward to seeing the completed film this weekend (for a variety of reasons, we're not actually going on opening night). I was a big fan of the series, and its cancellation is one of the reasons I have a tendency to say "Damn Fox anyway" now & again (see also: Wonderfalls and Futurama). So I wasn't an impartial observer going into the second advance screening in Portland. (I think I've told the story of my attempt to get into the first advance screening to everybody who reads this, but I'll put it up here soon anyway.) I think the movie is accessible to people who aren't familar with the series, and I hope that perception is accurate, because I want it to do very well & for Joss Whedon to make a whole bunch more movies.

And in the end, I just don't know what to say other than, "I liked it. I think you'll like it too." Sorry it's not more articulate.

No comments: