Sunday, September 11, 2005

Okay, so I'm not updating books any more frequently. So sue me.

  1. Megatokyo, vol. 3 by Fred Gallagher. I have to admit, this is growing on me. Not enough for me to buy any more volumes, but I am considering following it online. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Catwoman: Wild Ride by Ed Brubaker & Cameron Stewart. I've really enjoyed these collections, not least because of the art. The style fits in very well with the noir-ish feel to the stories. Unfortunately, this is apparently the last Catwoman book with good art. I'll pick up the rest of Brubaker's run when it's collected because I like his writing, but having flipped through one or two of the issues drawn by Paul Gulacy, I'm not looking forward to them all that much.
  3. Solstice by Steven T. Seagle & Justin Norman. I picked this up at the comic store when I saw it because I had vague memories of reading an issue or two of this story when it was first published, something like 10 years ago. It was never completed then, but this book collects the previous comics & finishes the story (about a man with an extremely difficult father).
  4. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon. I loved The Amazig Adventures of Kavalier & Klay and Summerland when I read them, so I was looking forward to reading this for the book club at White Noise, but I didn't enjoy Chabon's first novel nearly as much. The language seems entirely too precious, as if he spent too much time hunting for exactly the perfect turn of phrase and not enough just telling a story. I'm glad he got better. (Library.)
  5. Tricked by Alex Robinson. I really hope this does well. It's an excellent graphic novel, and it was not serialized as comics first. I would love to see more comics creators able to support themselves with original graphic novels. Also, stories that are just about people make a nice change from superhero fare.
  6. Scandalous by J. Torres & Scott Chantler. A great story about Hollywood in the 50s. (Library.)
  7. Tom Strong's Terrific Tales, Book 1 by Alan Moore, Steve Moore, et al. I have no idea why it took so long for the publisher to put out a paperback collection of these comics. And who knows when book two will come out?
  8. Tuxedo Gin, vol. 2 by Tokihiko Matsuura. More manga strangeness about a guy reincarnated as a penguin. (Library.)

No comments: