Monday, December 19, 2005

Continuing to update:

  1. Buddha, vol. 6: Ananda by Osamu Tezuka. I've said it before about this series, but it is a remarkable achievement. And I think I've also mentioned that a while back I saw a solicitation for the first volume in paperback. That was something like six months ago, and there's still no sign of it. It's very frustrating. I would love to own these books, but I just can't justify paying $25 a volume. (Library.)
  2. The Losers, vol. 3: Trifecta by Andy Diggle & Jock. (Library.)
  3. Adventures of the Rifle Brigade by Garth Ennis & Carlos Ezquerra. (Library.)
  4. Astro City: Local Heroes by Kurt Busiek & Brent Anderson. The latest collection in this remarkable series. Busiek tells some fantastic and emotionally-true stories using superheroes.
  5. Ultimate Spider-Man, vol. 6 by Brian Michael Bendis & Mark Bagley. I question the wisdom of an "ultimate" version of Carnage, but I still enjoyed this & will continued to pick up these collections.
  6. Heroes & Villains: The William Messner-Loebs Benefit Book by various. Messner-Loebs wrote some wonderful comics, including great runs on The Flash and Wonder Woman. Plus, he wrote & drew Journey, an amazing series about frontier life in the early 19th century. Unfortunately, he has not found work in several years. This benefit book is an attempt to help him out. I hope it worked. And I really hope more of his work is collected.
  7. Doom Patrol, vol. 3: Down Paradise Way by Grant Morrison, Richard Case, & Kelley Jones. Yay! More of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol has been collected. This volume even features the introduction of Flex Mentallo, Man of Muscle Mystery. It's a shame the Flex Mentallo mini-series stands virtually no chance of being collected, since Charles Atlas's estate doesn't care for certain aspects of the character.
  8. OUtsiders, vol. 3: Wanted by Judd Winick, et al.
  9. Usagi Yojimbo, vol. 19: Fathers & Sons by Stan Sakai. I'm not sure what to say about this series that I haven't already said. Great stuff.
  10. Bite Club by Howard Chaykin, David Tischman, & David Hahn.
  11. One Piece, vol. 8: I Won't Die by Eiichiro Oda. Recently Teena said she hoped there was less shouting in the manga version of One Piece than in the anime version. There isn't, but since I control the volume level in my head, it's tolerable.
  12. Kwaidan by Jung & Jee-Yun. As I read this, I wondered if there were some problems with the translation. (Library.)
  13. One, vol. 1 by Lee Vin. I think that's pronounced "Oh-nay", but I'm not sure. In any case, I picked up this book because I happened to spot volume 1 on the shelf at the library. I wasn't impressed & won't be picking up any further volumes. (Library.)
  14. Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 2. I don't understand why comics publishers didn't hit on the idea of collecting certain creators' runs on comics long before they actually did. I guess too many people still follow titles or characters rather than creators.
  15. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book the Twelfth: The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket. These books keep getting better & better. I'm eagerly awaiting the final volume in this series. (Library.)
  16. The Shark Diaries by Jim Toomey. (Teena's book.)
  17. The Goon, vol. 0: Rough Stuff by Eric Powell. Not too long ago, Dark Horse reprinted an early issue of The Goon for $.25. Well, I couldn't pass up that price, so I picked it up & really enjoyed it. Funny stuff. I'm afraid my budget doesn't allow me to buy the collections, but that's what libraries are for. (Library.)
  18. The Curse of Dracula by Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan. More vampire stories from the team behind Tomb of Dracula? How could I pass that up? Obviously, I didn't.
  19. Jack Kirby's Forth World, featuring Mister Miracle. Wonderful Kirby strangeness.
  20. Spider-Man: Son of the Goblin by various. (Library.)
  21. Rising Stars, vol. 3: Fire & Ash by J. Michael Straczynski & Brent Anderson.
  22. Iron Wok Jan!, vol. 3 by Shinji Saijyo. (Library.)
  23. Iron Wok Jan!, vol. 4 by Shinji Saijyo. (Library.)
  24. Iron Wok Jan!, vol. 5 by Shinji Saijyo. (Library.)
  25. Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 3.
  26. Tuxedo Gin, vol. 5 by Tokihiko Matsuura. (Library.)
  27. Man of Steel, vol. 4 by John Byrne, et al. More reprints from the 80's revamp of Superman.
  28. The Bogie Man by John Wagner, Alan Grant, & Robin Smith. Stories about an escaped mental patient who thinks he's Humphry Bogart.
  29. Bone Sharps, Cowboys & Thunder Lizards: A Tale of Edward Drinker Cope, Othniel Charles Marsh, and the Gilded Age of Paleontology by Jim Ottaviani & Big Time Attic. I always enjoy Ottaviani's comics about scientists, and when I was little, I wanted to become a paleontologist, so his latest book was a treat.
  30. Keif Llama: Particle Dreams by Matt Howarth. I really enjoy Howarth's work; he's one of the few creators who does actual science fiction comics (as opposed to superheroes with a thin veneer of SF. The stories reprinted here aren't his best work, but I am extremely happy to see them in print and hope it's a sign that more collections will be forthcoming. (That reminds me, the latest issue of the new Keif Llama series was supposed to have come out a few weeks back. I'll need to check on that, since my comic book store didn't supply me with a copy.)
  31. Jenny Finn: Messiah by Mike Mignola, Troy Nixey & Faral Dalrymple.
  32. Batman: Under the Hood by Judd Winick, Dough Mahnke & Paul Lee.
  33. Dorothy, vol. 1 by Mark Masterson, Greg Mannino, Catie Fisher, et al. Heavily photoshopped photo-comics retelling the story of The Wizard of Oz. Strange, but very cool.
  34. Dr. Slump, vol. 4 by Akira Toriyama.
  35. Dragon Ball Z, vol. 19 by Akira Toriyama.
  36. Champs by Steven Weissman.
  37. Mister X: The Definitive Collection, vol. 2 by Dean Motter, Seth, et al. This volume reprints the Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean story that has been reprinted many, many times.
  38. Juicy Mother, vol. 1: Celebration by various. A collection of short comics stories by gay comics creators. (Library.)
  39. The Ultimates, vol. 1 by Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch. Millar's work has always been hit & miss for me, so I avoided this for a while, despite having read quite a few good reviews of it. I was afraid it'd be too cynical for my tastes, but I liked it a lot. Enough that I'm considering buying it at some point. (Library.)
  40. A Child's Life and Other Stories by Pheobe Gloeckner. (Library.)
  41. Hunter X Hunter, vol. 5 by Yoshihiro Togashi.
  42. Black Jack: Two-Fisted Surgeon by Osamu Tezuka. (Library.)
  43. Surfer Safari by Jim Toomey. (Teena's book.)
  44. Superman For Tomorrow, vol. 1 by Brian Azzarello & Jim Lee. Azzarello's writing style just doesn't fit with Superman. (Library.)
  45. The Bloodline Chronicles by Varanda & Ange. (Library.)
  46. Chiaroscuro: The Private Lives of Leonardo da Vinci by Pat McGreal, David Rawson, & Chaz Truog. Great historical fiction. The medium is capable of so much; it's too bad it's almost entirely taken up with superheroes. (Not that there's anything wrong with superheroes; I read plenty of them myself. It's just that there could be so much more.)
  47. Where's My Cow? by Terry Pratchett & Melvyn Grant. This is a Discworld children's book; that is, not a children's book about the Discworld (although it is that), but a children's book that was published in the Discworld (sort of). (Teena's book.)
  48. 24 Hour Comics Day Highlights 2005 by various.
  49. Vic & Blood: The Continuing Adventures of a Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison & Richard Corben.
  50. Day of Vengeance by Bill Willingham, Judd Winick, Ian Churchill, & Justiniano.


Time for another break.

No comments: