Monday, January 30, 2006

When Teena & I moved in together, I had visions of small updates every few days & staying on top of things that way. That hasn't exactly happened. Here's my attempt to finish listing the books I read in 2005 before we finish the first month of 2006.

  1. The Ultimates 2, vol. 1: Gods & Monsters by Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch. I've been enjoying the Ultimates collections enough that I'm considering buying them. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Cromartie High School, vol. 1 by Eiji Nonaka. Completely absurd manga about a high school full of tough guys & misfits (including a gorilla, a robot, a masked wrestler, and a guy who just might be Freddie Mercury).
  3. Inferno by Mike Carey & Michael Gaydos. (Library.)
  4. The Collected Dork Tower, vol. 8: Go, Dork, Go! by John Kovalic. I'm not sure why Amazon shows the cover to issue 2 of "Dr. Blink, Superhero Shrink" instead of the actual cover, which looks a lot like this.
  5. I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, & Kevin Gaguire. Light & fluffy superheroics, but with some genuine emotion. Based on recent events in the DC universe, this will be the last time we see the silly versions of these characters, and that's a shame.
  6. Until the Full Moon, vol. 1 by Sanami Matoh. This is another manga title I checked out because the library had the first volume available. It was okay, but not terribly interesting. If the second volume hadn't been on display the next time I went to the library, I would not have sought it out. (Library.)
  7. GrimJack: Killer Instinct by John Ostrander & Timothy Truman. You all know the deal by now, right? In case I haven't drummed it into your heads by now: GrimJack is an excellent comic, and I am happy new stories are finally being published.
  8. From Eroica with Love, vol. 1 by Aoike Yasuko.
  9. Bleach, vol. 2: Goodbye Parakeet, Good Night My Sister by Tite Kubo.
  10. The X-Files, vol. 2 by various. Like the previous volume collecting X-Files comics from the '90s, this book could have used some proofreading. This time, the table of contents says it reprints 2 more issues than it actually does.
  11. Evil's Return, vol. 1 by Jong-Kyu Lee & Hwan Shin. This was just awful. (Library.)
  12. Star Wars: Clone Wars, vol 7: When They Were Brothers by Haden Blackman & Brian Ching. I've been buying most of the volumes in this series because they are at least partially written by John Ostrander. I ended up getting this one because either the comic catalog had the wrong information or my comic book store decided that since I'd bought previous volumes, I'd want this one. It wasn't bad, but I can't remember a damn thing about it.
  13. Mystique, vol. 1: Dead Drop Gorgeous by Brian K. Vaughan & Jorge Lucas.
  14. Bleach, vol. 3: Memories in the Rain by Tite Kubo.
  15. Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, vol. 2 by various. (Library.)
  16. Bleach, vol. 4: Quincy Archer Hates You by Tite Kubo.
  17. Krazy & Ignatz 1935-1936: A Wild Warmth of Chromatic Gravy by George Herriman. This volume reprints the first Krazy Kat strips that appeared in color. They are absolutely gorgeous.
  18. The American by Mark Verheiden et al. I don't know who at Dark Horse decided to reprint these comics, but I'm glad they did. This is a cynical take on the idea of a Captain America-type hero. It's not at all realistic, but it feels closer to how things would be in the real world.
  19. Little Lulu: Letters to Santa by John Stanley & Irving Tripp. (Library.)
  20. Knights of the Dinner Table: Bundle of Trouble, vol. 13 by various. Comics about role players. Terrible art, but funny stories.
  21. Image Holiday Special 2005 by various. I think there must be something wrong with Erik Larsen. How else can you explain him creating what is supposed to be a humorous Christmas story that involves a police officer being killed? I enjoyed some of the stories in this, but Larsen's really put me off.
  22. Tom Strong, Book 4 by Alan Moore, Jerry Ordway, et al. This collection includes Moore's last issues writing this comic (at least until the final issue comes out, if it ever does). I'm debating whether or not to get any more volumes in this series.
  23. The Best of the Spirit by Will Eisner. Eisner's innovation & mastery of the medium is at full display in this volume. I'd read all these stories before, but I still marveled at Eisner's craft & storytelling. I would love to see an affordable series of books reprinting the Spirit comics. The Archive editions look great but are just too damn expensive.
  24. Vimanarama by Grant Morrison & Philip Bond. This is just odd; the best description I can think of is a Jack Kirby story as told by Bollywood (but set in England). Strange and wonderful.
  25. Anywhere but Here by Tori Miki. (Library.)
  26. Villains United by Gail Simone, Dale Eaglesham, & Val Semeiks. This was good, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I were more concerned with current events in the DC universe. I guess the thinking is that if the story is spread out over many titles, if they all tie into the big cross-over event, people will buy comics they don't normally pick up. (I know: this has been going on for decades, but the continuity seems especially tight-knit with Infinite Crisis.) But for me, it just makes me even less likely to buy individual issues. I'll pick up trade paperbacks by creators I like, but that's it.
  27. Star Wars: Clone Wars, vol. 3: Last Stand on Jabiim by Haden Blackman, John Ostrander, Brian Ching & Jan Duursema. I found a used copy of this & picked it up, even though Blackman wrote most of it.
  28. Kane, vol. 5: The Untouchable Rico Costas & Other Short Stories by Paul Grist. Grist has a cartoony art style, and he uses it well in this series about a police detective. He self-published for a long time, and then Image picked up the series and started republishing the collections (Grist decided years ago to move from individual issues to simply publishing books). They have finally reached material that had not been previously collected. I just hope further volumes (and dare I hope, new material) are soon to follow.
  29. Eerie Queerie, vol. 1 by Shuri Shiozu. (Library.)
  30. Coyote, vol. 2 by Steve Englehart, Steve Leialoha, Butch Guice, & Chaz Truog.
  31. Say Cheesy by Darby Conley. Have I mentioned how much I adore the Get Fuzzy comic strip?
  32. Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi. I enjoyed this more than I did Satrapi's autobiographical books (the two volumes of Persepolis), probably because of the subject matter: sex. This isn't salacious at all; it's a collection of stories Satrapi & her female relatives told each other. (Library.)
  33. Naruto, vol. 7: Orochimaru's Curse by Musashi Kishimoto.
  34. Iron Wok Jan!, vol. 6 by Shinji Saijyo. (Library.)
  35. Naruto, vol. 8: LIfe and Death Battles by Masashi Kishimoto.
  36. Star Trek: Death before Dishonor by Peter David & James Fry. It's nice that these comics are finally being collected. (I wonder how many different companies have had the license for ST comics over the years. I can think of at least four.)
  37. Dragon Ball Z, vol. 20 by Akira Toriyama.


And that finishes my list of books read in 2005. Maybe I'll get back to movies I've seen one of these days.

No comments: