Sunday, August 26, 2007

Various & Sundry Titles

  1. Valley of the Far Side by Gary Larson. I'm glad I dug these books out of storage, because I am really enjoying rereading them.
  2. Apollo's Song by Osamu Tezuka. I don't even know where to begin in describing this. It's the story of a young man who has no sense of love and is therefore condemned by the goddess of love to live many lives where he falls in love but never to know happiness. Odd stuff, even for Tezuka, who isn't the most straight-laced of storytellers.
  3. Charley's War: 17 October 1916 - 21 February 1917 by Pat Mills & Joe Colquhoun. More excellent comics about WWI. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. Glister, v.1: Glister & the Haunted Teapot by Andi Watson. Very cute.
  5. Civil War: Iron Man by various. (Library.)
  6. JSA Presents: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. by Geoff Johns & Lee Moder. These are the first comics Johns wrote, and they're a lot of fun. This is before Johns apparently decided that grim & dark is better. His current comics are remarkably likely to feature dismemberment or cannibalism. I can't say I much like the direction Johns has taken his writing. Give me more light-hearted fun like this book. (Library.)
  7. Bride of the Far Side by Gary Larson.
  8. Alias the Cat! by Kim Deitch. (Library.)
  9. Knights of the Dinner Table Bundle of Trouble, vol. 20 by Jolly Blackburn, et al. More gaming comics.
  10. The Territory by Jamie Delano & David Lloyd. (Library.)
  11. Abraxas & the Earthman by Rick Veitch. A trippy, science fiction version of Moby Dick (albeit considerably shorter). (Library.)
  12. Green Lantern Corps: To Be a Lantern by Dave Gibbons & Patrick Gleason. As much as I love Gibbons' artwork, I've found his writing hit or miss. When he's working on a personal project, such as The Originals, it's great. His superhero work, such as this book, is okay, but nothing special. (Library.)

No comments: