Sunday, April 06, 2008

Another Sunday, Another Post

First, I'd like to thank anybody who has used the links from my posts to buy stuff from Amazon. Thanks to you kind folk, I recently received an $11 gift certificate to Amazon.
  1. Phoenix, vol. 7: Civil War, pt. 1 by Osamu Tezuka. Still working my way through this series. I tend to prefer the volumes set in Japan's past rather than the ones set in the future. This is one of the former, and is quite good.
  2. Phoenix, vol. 8: Civil War, pt. 2 by Osamu Tezuka.
  3. Phoenix, vol. 9: Strange Beings/Life by Osamu Tezuka.
  4. Phoenix, vol. 10: Sun, pt. 1 by Osamu Tezuka. The first part of the biggest and most ambitious Phoenix story, this book ties the a story set in the past with one set in the future.
  5. Paris by Andi Watson. This is pretty good, but I'm not sure what Watson was trying to do here, so I'm not sure he succeeded.
  6. Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, vol. 8: Forces of Nature by Peter David & Pop Mhan.
  7. X-Factor, vol. 4: Heart of Ice by Peter David, Koi Pham, & Pablo Raimondi.
  8. Fullmetal Alchemist, vol. 16 by Hiromu Arakawa.
  9. Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears by Garth Ennis & Clayton Crain. I wanted to like this story, and the writing is fine. But the art is dark & muddy, and it is often hard to tell what is going on or even who is speaking.
  10. The Stardust Kid by J.M. DeMatteis & Mike Ploog. While I normally like DeMatteis's writing, when he's in mystical mode, his work becomes hit or miss for me. It can be very good, but sometimes it's not. In this case, I can tell it's good, but it doesn't resonate with me, and it falls flat.

No comments: