Thursday, August 07, 2008

Still Catching Up

I go back to work tomorrow. (What was I thinking? Why didn't I just take six days off?) So I should take advantage of the extra time I have right now to update some more.

  1. Freddie & Me: A Coming of Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody by Mike Dawson. I can't say this excited me. There just didn't seem to be much of a point to the story. There's more to autobiography than just recounting stuff that happened to you. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Welcome to Tranquility, vol. 2 by Gail Simone & Neil Googe. (Library.)
  3. Conan, vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories by Kurt Busiek & Cary Nord.
  4. Superman: Escape from Bizarro World by Richard Donner, Geoff Johns, & Eric Powell. A pretty good story, padded out with older Bizarro stories so they could justify putting it out in hardback and charging $25. (Library.)
  5. Kimmie66 by Aaron Alexovich.
  6. True Story, Swear to God Archives, vol. 1 by Tom Beland. I recently discovered Beland's blog and learned that TSStG sells around 1,300 copies at best. Which just amazed me. This is a wonderful, wonderful comic; full of heart and with some great cartooning. I guess I shouldn't be surprised; the comics market isn't exactly overflowing with customers looking for true-life romance stories. And that's a shame. This comic is fantastic and deserves a much, much bigger audience.
  7. The Question: The Five Books of Blood by Greg Rucka, et al. I'd feel better about this comic if there were any indication DC might be publishing a follow-up.
  8. Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War by Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons, et al. (Library.)
  9. The Helmet of Fate by various. (Library.)
  10. Punisher War Journal, vol. 2: Goin' Out West by Matt Fraction & Ariel Olivetti. (Library.)
  11. Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan. (Library.)
  12. A Gentleman's Game: A Queen & Country Novel by Greg Rucka. I hate book blurbs. "She's a spy who plays by only one rule: her own." Please. The blurbs on this novel make it sound like a James Bond-like story, instead of a reasonably realistic spy story that takes into account the political and psychological tolls of wetwork.
  13. Queen & Country, vol. 8: Operation: Red Panda by Greg Rucka & Chris Samnee. And here's the fallout from A Gentleman's Game.
  14. 100 Bullets, vol. 5: The Counterfifth Detective by Brian Azzarello & Eduardo Risso. Some of the subtitles to this series don't make a lot of sense. What does "counterfifth" mean, anyway? Working the volume number into the subtitle is clever, when it makes sense. (Library.)
  15. The Nocturnals: Carnival of Beasts by Dan Brereton, et al.
  16. She-Hulk, vol. 4: Laws of Attraction by Dan Slott, et al. (Library.)
  17. Hellboy, vol. 8: Darkness Calls by Mike Mignola & Duncan Fegredo. I really liked this volume. In it, Hellboy deals with the consequences of some of the choices he has made, including his refusal to accept the role of Beast of the Apocalypse (or Antichrist; I forget which he's supposed to be, possibly both). The art is fantastic, even if it feels weird saying that about a Hellboy story not drawn by Mignola.
  18. Hikaru no Go, vol. 12: The Shinshodan Series by Yumi Hotta & Takeshi Obata.
  19. Justice League of America, vol. 3: The Injustice League by Dwayne McDuffie, et al. (Library.)
  20. Star Wars Legacy, vol. 3: Claws of the Dragon by John Ostrander & Jan Duursema. Ostrander is so much better than Lucas at depicting someone on the edge of falling to the dark side.
  21. Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War, vol. 2 by various.
  22. Manga Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet adapted by Richard Appignanesi & Sonia Leong. Maybe it's because I'm less familiar with Romeo & Juliet than I am with Hamlet, but this annoyed me less than the other Manga Shakespeare volume I read. I am still glad I bought it cheap on sale, though.
  23. Green Lantern: Tales of the Sinestro Corps by various. (Library.)
  24. Postage Stamp Funnies by Shannon Wheeler. This could have done with fewer poop jokes, but is otherwise pretty funny.
  25. Pendragon Graphic Novel, bk. 1: The Merchant of Death by D.J. McHale & Carla Speed McNeil. I am completely unfamiliar with the Pendragon series of young adult novels, but I love Carla Speed McNeil's work, so I picked this up. It was a good choice. I doubt I'll be reading the originals, but if she adapts any more of the books, I'll definitely be getting them.


Well, that takes me up to where I would have been if I'd updated on Sunday, so I think that's enough for now.

1 comment:

Michael said...

We do know that there will be some book with the Question from Greg Rucka in the future.