Sunday, January 11, 2009

Reading Resolution
In 2009, I will read at least one book a month that is not a graphic novel. Also, I will make a dent in the number of unread Essentials and Showcase Presents volumes I have. And, to stop falling months & months behind in listing the movies I've seen, I treat them like books & post about them each week.

Now on to the books I've read so far in 2009.
  1. X-Men: Messiah Complex by various. It's an X-Men crossover. Not much more to be said. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Punisher, vol. 10: Valley Forge, Valley Forge by Garth Ennis & Goran Parlov. Another Punisher story from Ennis. (Library.)
  3. MPD Psycho, vol. 3 by Sho-u Tajima & Eiji Otsuka. Disturbing but good. (Library.)
  4. X-Men: Divided We Stand by Ed Brubaker & Mike Choi. I liked seeing hippie versions of the X-Men. (Library.)
  5. Private Wars by Greg Rucka. The second novel featuring characters Rucka created for a comic book. Somewhat realistic spy-thriller. Very good.
  6. Cat Eyed Boy, vol. 2 by Kazuo Umezu. Completely insane, but fascinating. (Library.)
  7. Magic Trixie Sleeps Over by Jill Thompson. Adorable story about a young witch who tires of her bedtime routine and what she learns when she sleeps over at her friends' houses.
  8. Scalped, vol. 3: Dead Mothers by Jason Aaron, R.M. Guero, et al. Noir story set on a reservation. (Library.)
  9. Star Wars Legacy, vol. 4: Alliance by John Ostrander & Omar Francia. I continue to enjoy these stories set over 100 years after the movies.
  10. Mail, vol. 2 by Housui Yamazaki. After only two volumes, the formula is clear: ghost shows up & menaces somebody, detective appears at the last minute and exorcises the ghost. But the stories are entertainingly told, so I'm not worried about the repetition. (Library.)
  11. Tom Strong's Terrific Tales, Book 2 by Steve Moore, Alan Moore, et al. I didn't get this when it was first published because I was waiting for the paperback edition. By the time I finally accepted that there wouldn't be a paperback edition, the cloth was basically out of print. Fortunately, there are copies to be found at comics stores & the like.
  12. The All New Atom: The Hunt for Ray Palmer by Gail Simone & Mike Norton. (Library.)
  13. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir, & Kevin Cornell. I haven't seen the movie, but I suspect it is quite a bit different from this graphic novel adaptation of Fitzgerald's story. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  14. Empowered, vol. 4 by Adam Warren. There's a surprising amount of heart in this comic that started as a collection of cheesecake drawings.
  15. PS238, vol. 6: Senseless Acts of Tourism by Aaron Williams. This series about a grade school for superpowered children is great. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  16. Dan Dare by Garth Ennis & Gary Erskine. (Library.)


And now the movies (& DVDs) I finished watching since the beginning of the year:

No comments: