Sunday, January 04, 2009

Wrapping Up 2008

Okay, time for the last few books I read last year.

  1. Afterdead 1: The Desert Peach 31, 32 & Beyond by Donna Barr. I've had this since it came out, quite a while ago, but it took me a long time to get around to reading it. Once I did, I remembered just how good Barr is. In this book, she re-envisions and merges her series, including The Desert Peach, Stinz, and Bosom Enemies. It's weird, but it works.
  2. Afterdead 1.2: The Desert Peach Crosses Over by Donna Barr.
  3. Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. Very funny and with interesting insights into the origin of Santa Claus (well, the Hogfather, but he's the Discworld version).
  4. The Best American Comics 2006 by various. Picked this anthology up in a used book store. I was surprised at how many of the selections were things I had already read in their original appearances. I don't think of myself as reading many art comics.
  5. Tall Tales by Al Jaffee. The best of a vertical comic strip done by the man who created Mad Magazine's fold-ins.
  6. Garfield Minus Garfield by Jim Davis, with Dan Walsh. The idea of removing Garfield from Garfield is genius. It's amazing how the strips are changed without the cat.
  7. Promethea, Book 1 by Alan Moore & J.H. Williams III.
  8. Promethea, Book 2 by Alan Moore & J.H. Williams III.
  9. Promethea, Book 3 by Alan Moore & J.H. Williams III.
  10. Promethea, Book 4 by Alan Moore & J.H. Williams III.
  11. Promethea, Book 5 by Alan Moore & J.H. Williams III. When I bought the final volume of Moore's treatise on magic disguised as a superhero comic, I decided I'd reread the first four volumes. It took me a while to get around to it. I think this comic is great, even if the superhero disguise does grow thin when Promethea takes a tour up the Tree of Life. I think this is one of Moore's best works.


540 books in 366 days.

And now to finish catching up with the movies & DVDs I watched last year.

No comments: