Sunday, April 18, 2010

Definitely Not a Thin Week

Staying home sick two days this week means that I got quite a bit read & watched. Here we go.
  1. Ghost Rider: The Last Stand by Jason Aaron & Tan Eng Huat. I liked the story (somewhat In Nomine-ish), but I have to say the art was some of the ugliest I've ever seen. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, vol. 10 by Eiji Otsuka & Hosui Yamazaki. Don't know what to say other than that I am still really enjoying this. (Library.)
  3. Almost Silent by Jason. Four of Jason's books collected into one volume. I believe I had already read two of these before. (Library.)
  4. Blended Nation: Portraits and Interviews of Mixed-Race America by Mike Tauber & Pamela Singh. While I am technically mixed-race, I don't look stereotypically Mexican, and my father wasn't enough of a presence when I was growing up that culturally I'm simply American. So I've never had to face the issues that the people portrayed here do. A fascinating book. (Library.)
  5. Heavy Liquid by Paul Pope. I forget how good Pope is. I have noticed that when I am simply looking at the pictures, his art doesn't do much for me. But when I actually read his stuff, it flows wonderfully. Looking forward to seeing him at Stumptown this weekend. (Library.)
  6. Doctor Who: The Forgotten by Tony Lee, Pia Guerra, et al. I've really been on a Doctor Who kick lately. (Library.)
  7. Detroit Metal City, vol. 4 by Kiminori Wakasugi. Absurd but funny. (Library.)
  8. Wonder Woman: Ends of the Earth by Gail Simone, Aaron Lopresti, & Bernard Chang. The more of Gail Simone's work I read, the more I like her.
  9. King of RPGs by Jason Thompson & Victor Hao. Manga-like. Completely over the top in places. Funny.
  10. Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 11: Salem's Seven by Mike Carey & Tyler Kirkham. (Library.)
  11. Grendel: Behold the Devil by Matt Wagner. I don't seem to have anything to say about this. I liked it.
  12. George Herriman's Krazy & Ignatz in "Tiger Tea". Daily strips from the legendary comic.
  13. Dark Reign: Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman & Sean Chen. (Library.)
  14. Fables, vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges, Mark Buckingham, Tony Akins, et al. Still plenty entertaining.


And here are the movies & DVDs I've watched since last week:
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Bloodwaters of Doctor Z. A mad scientist turns himself into a fish-man in an attempt to rule the world. Don't ask me. It doesn't make any more sense to me than it does to you.
  • Spooky Spooky Scary Scary. I picked this up at the 2009 H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival but hadn't gotten around to watching it until now. Funny, but I could have done without the the hackneyed plot of "two buddies fall out when one of them gets a girlfriend, but they get back together when she turns out to be a shrew."
  • Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive. I did say that I've been on a Doctor Who kick.
  • The Best of the Kids in the Hall, vol. 1. Great sketch comedy.
  • Them! After years of watching MST3K and its progeny, it is so strange to see a giant monster movie with a decent budget and actors.
  • Lilo and Stich. Man, I love this movie, but I hadn't seen it in years. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good. "
  • Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks. Not the best Doctor Who story.

No comments: