Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Post

  1. Love and Rockets New Stories, no. 3 by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez.

    While still good, Gilbert's stories are getting more & more esoteric. And I'm enjoying Jaime's stories all the more. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Thor: Wolves of the North by various. It's just amazing how many Thor books Marvel has been putting out recently. I wonder why that is.
  3. The Marvels Project: Birth of the Super Heroes by Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting. An examination of the early days of the Marvel Universe.
  4. Scalped, vol. 7: Rez Blues by Jason Aaron, R.M. Guera, et al. The more I read of this Native American noir, the more impressed I am. (Library.)
  5. George R.R. Martin's Doorways by George R.R. Martin & Stefano Martino.

    Adaptation of a television pilot that Martin wrote a while back.
  6. Essential Spider Man, vol. 6 by Gerry Conway, John Romita, Ross Andru, et al. Conway really handles the soap-opera aspect of super-hero comics well. He juggles sub-plots and brings them to prominence when they've simmered long enough. And he keeps adding more threads as old ones resolve. Solidly entertaining comics.
  7. DMZ, vol. 10: Collective Punishment by Brian Wood, et al.

    Moving the story along and catching up with other characters.
  8. Judge Anderson, vol. 1: Anderson, Psi-Division by John Wagner, Alan Grant, et al. Spin-off of Judge Dredd. Pretty good, but nothing all that memorable.

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention it when I finished it, but I listened to the audio version of A Series of Unfortunate Events #13: The End, narrated by Tim Curry. I will always love this book for one particular scene; one I don't want to mention because it's the climax of the book. If you've read the book, you can probably guess which scene I mean. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it (and the entire series {even though there are a couple of books in the middle where the formula gets a bit tedious}).

A few movies since last time:
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Last of the Wild Horses.
  • Doctor Who: The Curse of Fenric. The seventh Doctor manipulating bad guys and helping Ace to deal with adolescent angst.
  • The Great Muppet Caper. Teena's favorite Muppet movie. (I lean towards the first one myself, but this on is plenty of fun.)
  • Doctor Who: Planet of Evil. The fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane on the edge of the universe.
  • Sherlock. The first series of the BBC modernization of Doyle's stories. Teena and I were both blown away at how great a job they did bringing the characters and situations up to the current day. We couldn't believe the ending and cannot wait until the next series comes out and makes it to the US.

And I have finished a couple of video games recently.
  • Puzzle Quest 2 for the iPad. A match-3 game paired with an RPG. Kept me occupied for hours.
  • Bayonetta. I mentioned this on Twitter, but this game is completely over-the-top. I have never seen a more preposterous game. The cheesecake is so blatant that I can't even find it offensive. It's ridiculous, and it knows it. Here is a review of the game that does a better job describing it than I could.

No comments: