Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Eve

Mass Effect has been eating up a lot of my time lately, so I'll keep things short.
  1. Motel Art Improvement Service by Jason Little.

    (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Showcase Presents: Secrets of Sinister House by various. Horror stories from the early 70s. I've read one of the other horror Showcase Presents volumes before, and I wasn't impressed. I think I liked this one better because I read a story or two a day rather than devouring the whole thing at once.
  3. Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

    After learning that Terry Pratchett has early onset Alzheimer's, I keep expecting each new Discworld novel to be the last, but he's still going strong. This latest one may be a little predictable, but Pratchett still understands human nature as well as ever.
  4. Dracula: The Company of Monsters, vol. 3 by Kurt Busiek, Daryl Gregory, Damien Couciero & Scot Godlewski. Conclusion to the best vampire story I've read in a long time. (Library.)
  5. The All-New Atom: Future/Past by Gail Simone, Mike Norton & Eddy Barrows.
  6. Invincible Iron Man, vol. 8: Unfixable by Matt Fraction, Salvador Larroca, et al. (Library.)
  7. Sigil: Out of Time by Mike Carey & Leonard Kirk. Great young-adult fantasy story. I hope to see more of this.
  8. Essential Monster of Frankenstein by various. Frankenstein's Monster in Marvel comics. Pretty good, although the stories from the black and white magazines (that were not subject to the Comics Code) were too nihilistic for my tastes.
  9. Superman/Batman: Worship by Paul Levitz, Jerry Ordway & Renato Guedes. (Library.)
  10. Greek Street vol. 3: Medea's Luck by Peter Milligan, Werther Dell'edera & Davide Gianfelice.

    The final collection of this comic updating Greek myths to current day London.
  11. Vertigo Resurrected: The Eaters by Peter Milligan, Dean Ormston, et al.
  12. Dungeon Zenith, vol. 3: Back in Style by Joann Sfar, Lewis Trondheim & Boulet. (Library)
  13. The All New Atom: The Hunt for Ray Palmer by Gail Simone & Mike Norton.
  14. DC Comics Presents: Superboy's Legion by Mark Farmer & Alan Davis. The DC Comics Presents format is giving DC a place to reprint a bunch of Elseworlds stories. Fine by me.
  15. Showcase Presents: The Phantom Stranger, vol. 2 by various.

    More Comics Code-approved horror.
  16. Morning Glories, vol. 2: All Will Be Free by Nick Spencer & Joe Eisma. The Prisoner meets teen drama. I enjoy this series quite a lot, but I do hope we start getting at least a few answers soon.
  17. Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis by Warren Ellis & Kaare Andrews.
Movies:
  • Doctor Who: The Two Doctors. The 6th Doctor (Colin Baker) meets the 2nd (Patrick Troughton).
  • Thor. Enjoyed this more than I expected. Plenty of jokes and some spectacular action.
  • Howl's Moving Castle. When it has been a while since I've seen a studio Ghibli movie, I forget how beautiful they are. I love this movie.
  • Kakurenbo. Japanese animated short. Horror story about a special game of hide & seek.
  • Bride of Frankenstein.
  • Frankenstein. Teena & I probably should have watched these two in the other order, but once we finished Bride, we realized there was time to watch the first movie. Really impressed by Karloff's performance, especially in that costume & under that makup.

And that brings me up to date.

No comments: