Sunday, November 06, 2011

Man, I'm really enjoying Mass Effect. What a great game. That's why this update is late.
  1. Detroit Metal City, vol. 9 by Kiminori Wakasugi. More absurdity. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Stumptown by Greg Rucka & Matthew Southworth

    Crime story set in Portland. Great story and beautiful art. It's fun identifying the locations Southworth used for reference in his art. The book design is gorgeous, as well. An amazing package all around. I hope there's more to come, but in the current comics market, I'm not holding my breath. This book was a birthday present. Thanks, Gemma & Dee!
  3. God Save the Queen by Mike Carey & John Bolton.

    Urban fantasy. Bolton is a fantastic artist, and this story plays to his strengths.
  4. Alpha Flight Classic, vol. 2 by John Byrne. Some awkward story-telling here & there, but still plenty entertaining. I hope we see a third volume of Byrne's run and then another with Mantlo's & Mignola's issues.
  5. Boy's Ranch by Joe Simon & Jack Kirby. I've had this book for years but kept putting off reading it. Reading the collection of Simon & Kirby's Sandman comics a few weeks back convinced me to crack it open. I'm glad I did. Fun stuff.
  6. The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen & Rebecca Guay.

    Comics adaptation of one of Teena's favorite stories by Yolen. Beautifully done. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  7. Beards of Our Forefathers: A Collection of Wondermark Comic Strips by David Malki !

    Web-comic collection. The creator repurposes art from old magazines, advertisements and books. Very absurd stuff. Lots of fun.
  8. All-New Atom: Small Wonder by various. I really enjoyed the end of Gail Simone's run. But the writer who took over after she left made the story entirely too serious.
  9. Captain America: The Trial of Captain America by Ed Brubaker, Butch Guice, et al. This continues to be a great series.
  10. Zorro, vol. 3: Tales of the Fox by Matt Wagner & Francesco Francavilla.

    And with this book, I have completed by 2011 list of A-Z book titles.
  11. DC Comics Presents: Batman: Blink by Dwayne McDuffie & Val Semeiks. While it is nice to see more of McDuffie's comics collected, it would have been nice if this had come out before he died.

Movies:
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Manos: The Hands of Fate. Actually watched this a few weeks back but kept forgetting to list it here.
  • Doctor Who: The Creature from the Pit. I had seen this once before when PBS showed it in the 80s, but I remembered almost nothing about it. It's quite funny.

No comments: