Saturday, February 11, 2012

Early Post

I'm expecting to be busy tomorrow afternoon, so I'm updating on a Saturday.
  1. PunisherMax: Frank by Jason Aaron & Steve Dillon. Amazing exploration of the Punisher's past. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Dicebox, bk. 1: Wander by Jenn Manley Lee.

    Heard about this great web-comic at last years Stumptown Comics Fest. It sounded good, so I pre-ordered the first print collection. After several months of delays, the book recently arrived, and I read it. It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I discovered it was worth the wait. Great story, wonderful characters and some amazing world-building. I have caught up online and now I need to wait for each new page. It's going to be tough. Highly recommended.
  3. Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Battle of Tull by Robin Furth, Peter David & Michael Lark.

    How many volumes are we into this adaptation? Because this is book where we finally get to the beginning of the first book. Marvel has a cash cow that's going to last a good long time. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  4. Batman: Through the Looking Glass by Bruce Jones & Sam Kieth.

    I love Kieth's art. The story didn't do much for me. (Library.)
  5. B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, vol. 2: Gods and Monsters by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Guy Davis & Tyler Crook.

    Still very good, but getting very depressing. If the good guys don't start winning at least a few battles soon, I may give up on this series.
  6. Incorruptible, vol. 5 by Mark Waid & Marcio Takara. (Library.)
  7. Chronicles of Wormwood, vol. 2: The Last Battle by Garth Ennis & Oscar Jimenez. Sort of Ennis's version of Good Omens (albeit, not as funny). (Library.)
  8. Unwritten, vol. 5: On to Genesis by Mike Carey, Peter Gross & Vince Locke.

    This continues to be my favorite comic currently being published. I love what it says about stories and how they affect the world (and vice versa). The best thing Vertigo has published since Sandman.
  9. Essential Marvel Team-Up, vol. 1 by various. Nothing great, but certainly entertaining.
  10. At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft & I.N.J. Culbard.

    I liked this comics adaptation of Lovecraft's novel quite a bit. The art might not be to everybody's taste, with clean, simple lines, but I liked it and think it works very well.


A few movies/DVDs/NetFlix WI items in the past couple of weeks:
  • Rumble in the Bronx. I had never seen this before. The story makes about as much sense as any Jackie Chan movie (i.e. not much), but boy are the fights great. The man is just amazing.
  • The Day The Universe ChangedJames Burke's documentary series about how the way we think about the universe affects the way we interact with it. This is fantastic. Wonderfully informative and entertaining. This is how history should be taught.
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion of Earth. The second Dalek story. There is a sequence where several of the characters flee through an eerily deserted London, trying to avoid Daleks that is just great.
  • DalekmaniaDocumentary about the two 1960 Doctor Who theatrical movies. Pretty interesting. The sheer number of Dalek products was amazing.

No comments: