Sunday, March 18, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Not completely recovered, but feeling better than I did last week.
  1. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton.

    Great collection of strips from the website of the same name. Lots of history, and occasional super-heroes. Very funny.
  2. Habibi by Craig Thompson.

    A beautiful book, and while Thompson has said that he was deliberately playing with the tropes of Orientalism, I don't think he overcame the problematic aspects. This post is an excellent examination of the book. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection by Zach Weiner.

    A print collection of another webcomic that I enjoy.
  4. Xombi by John Rozum & Frazer Irving.

    Xombi was one of my favorite of the Milestone comics, so I was very excited to read this revival. My only disappointment is that this collection is all we are going to get. Apparently it sold very poorly, which is a shame, since the art is beautiful, and the story is great. Full of strangeness, but not too weird as to be off-putting.
  5. Archie's Haunted House by various. Spooky stories featuring Archie & the Riverdale gang.
  6. Thunderbolts Classic, vol. 2 by Kurt Busiek, Mark Bagley, et al. A great super-hero series from the dark days of the 90s.
  7. 20th Century Boys, vol. 19: The Man Who Came Back by Naoki Urasawa.

    I wish this were being published more frequently than bi-monthly. Can't wait for the next volume.
  8. Mister X: The Brides of Mister X and Other Stories by Jeffrey Morgan, Shane Oakley, D'Israeli, et al.

    In some ways the embodiment of style over substance. When that style is good enough, I don't mind. But I really don't care for Oakley's art. So I really disliked about half this book. (Library.)
  9. Captain Britain and MI13, vol. 3: Vampire State by Paul Cornell, Leonard Kirk, et al.

    I really enjoyed this series. Glad Cornell was able to wrap things up when it was cancelled, but wish it had lasted longer. I should have bought it when it was coming out.
  10. Masters of the Nonsenseverse: A Get Fuzzy Collection by Darby Conley.

    To quote my Goodreads review: "Starting to wear a bit thin. I don't find the Bucky-oriented strips as amusing as I used to. But I love Satchel more than ever."
  11. Showcase Presents: Our Army at War, vol. 1 by various.

    War comics from the 50s. Okay, but not all that good. Entertaining enough in a cheap reprint like this.

I'm not sure when I last updated movies, but I think I've done enough for now with the books. Movies next week. (Assuming I'm not playing Mass Effect 3 instead of updating.)

No comments: