Saturday, June 16, 2012

An Apology

Sorry I didn't post on Sunday. I spent the day being frustrated with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, an 8 year old video game that I really enjoyed up until the end, when I realized that by choosing the Light Side path, I had made the final battle much harder for myself. Plus, the Force powers that I had selected made that fight nearly impossible. I did not finish the game that day, but by resetting the difficulty level, I was able to finish the game.

Anyway, on to books from the last couple of weeks.
  1. The Complete Idiot's Guide to U.S. History, Graphic Illustrated by Kenneth Hite & Shepherd Hendrix.

    Overview of U.S. history. No great insights, but it is under 200 pages.
  2. A God Somewhere by John Arcudi & Peter Snejbjerg.
    Mbr< Really liked this, although I found the ending rather flat. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. Avengers: West Coast Avengers - Lost in Space and Time by Steve Englehart & Al Milgrom.

    This holds up better than I expected. The characterization is still pretty awkward, however. (Library.)
  4. Thirteen by Mike Carey & Andy Clarke.
  5. Incorruptible, vol. 6 by Mark Waid & Marcio Takara.

    This series is still good. (Library.)
  6. Water Baby by Ross Campbell.

    Campbell's art is good, his writing is not, bad, exactly, but his stories don't seem to have much of a point to them. And his art style can be problematic in that every female character is drawn in a ridiculously sexualized manner. Reading a comic by him is an uncomfortably close look into what turns him on. (Library.)
  7. The Complete Chester Gould's Dick Tracy, vol. 1: 1931-1933.

    The first couple of stories didn't really impress me, but that soon turned around and I found these comics surprisingly compelling. I can see why this is one of the classic comics. If I can find them cheap enough, I'll be picking up other volumes.
  8. Deadenders by Ed Brubaker & Warren Pleece.

    One of the best stories I've read in set in a distopian near future. Again, the ending doesn't quite hold up, but the rest is fantastic. (Library.)
  9. A Disease of Language by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell.

    Comics adaptation of "The Birth Caul" and "Snakes and Ladders", two spoken word performances/magical workings that Alan Moore has done. I have recordings of those performances and listened to them as I read the adaptations, and I think that really adds to the experience.
  10. Empowered, vol. 7 by Adam Warren.

    The latest volume in Warren's fun superhero series that evolved out of commissions for cheesecake art. Things are getting increasingly serious, but still feel ultimately optimistic.

No comments: