Sunday, June 24, 2012

Not Too Many This Week

  1. DC Comics Presents: Superman Adventures by Mark Millar & Aluir Amancio. As much as I feel Millar's work since Wanted is pandering to an audience for whom he feels contempt, I still really enjoy the comics he wrote for the series tying into the animated Superman show. Lots of heart. This is a nice, inexpensive reprint.
  2. Animal Man, vol. 1: The Hunt by Jeff Lemire & Travel Foreman.

    I think this may be my favorite series to come out of DC's "The New 52". More horror than superhero, this is wonderfully creepy. I hadn't planned on getting this series, but I gave the first issue a shot because I've enjoyed Lemire's other works, and I'm glad I did.
  3. Zorro Rides Again, vol. 1: Masked Avenger by Matt Wagner & Esteve Polls.

    Wagner's Zorro comics are consistently entertaining.
  4. Superman: Camelot Falls by Kurt Busiek & Carlos Pacheco.

    Does Superman do more harm than good?
  5. The Steve Ditko Omnibus, vol. 1 by Steve Dikto, et al.

    I have do admit, based on my disappointment over The Creeper collection, I did not have high expectations for this. I was pleasantly surprised. The Shade, the Changing Man stories are the best thing I've read with Ditko art, and Ditko was firing on all cylinders here. Some wonderfully strange and bizarre art here. The Stalker stories are also a lot of fun. The short stories from various anthology titles are a mixed bag, writing-wise, but the art is consistently good. (Checked out of the library.)
  6. Superman: Camelot Falls, vol. 2: The Weight of the World by Kurt Busiek & Carlos Pacheco.

    Superman fights against destiny.
  7. Essential Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man, vol. 3 by various. Comics from the early 80's. Nominally, Peter is in grad school, but the way things are written, it feels more like high school: for instance, Peter's professors are awfully concerned with his attendance.
  8. Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter, vol. 1 by Jack Miler & Joe Certa.

    I won't lie to you: the comics collected here aren't very good. I got the most enjoyment out of keeping a list of each different super-power that J'onn J'onzz demonstrates, most of which were used only once. My next post will be that list of super-powers.
  9. Ultimate Comics Hawkeye by Jonathan Hickman & Rafa Sandoval.

    ' (Checked out of the library.)

No comments: