Monday, May 10, 2004

Wow, Blogger did an update, and I've I've got a new interface. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Collected Best II by various. This is an anthology of stories collected from a comic that ran in the early 90's. There's a third volume, but I hate to think what's in it, because I really didn't like this one. Although I have considered getting the first volume, but that's because there's a Neil Gaiman story in it. (Checked out of the library.)
  • Fables, vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham and Lan Medina. I quite enjoy Fables, a comic book about characters from fairy tales, legends, and literature living in New York (after having been forced out of their own worlds by somebody known as "the Adversary"). In this collection, the sheriff of Fabletown, Bigby Wolf, is trying to figure out who killed Rose Red & why. Because the comic is doing well, I am considering cancelling my subscription to it at the comic store & simply getting the collections when they come out. Why buy the same story twice? And I prefer books to magazines anyway (and they're cheaper than the individual issues).
  • Y: The Last Man, vol. 3: One Small Step by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, and Paul Chadwick. Another comic I'm considering dumping for just the collections. The premise for this comic is that one day, every male mammal on the planet died except for one guy & his monkey. This is about what happens after.
  • Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. A semi-humorous fantasy novel about an anti-hero.
  • The Avengers: Ultron Unlimited by Kurt Busiek, George Perez, and Stuart Immonen. I don't have too much to say about this in particular, so I'll use it to talk about graphic novel pricing. I generally feel a graphic novel that reprints issues of a comic is worth the price if it costs as much as or less than the individual issues if they were to be published now. For instance, the Thor Legends collections I read a few weeks back are reasonably priced at $25 because each reprints 10 issues, and superhero titles generally run around $2.50 nowadays. (Although they were considerably cheaper when those Thor issues first came out.) Ultron Unlimited collects four regular issues of the comic and issue #0 (which was only 12 pages long). Its list price is $14.95. If you consider that some superhero comics run $2.95 and that zero-numbered issues are hard to find, it's worth it. Barely. Fortunately, I bought this used & didn't pay that much for it.
  • Young Gods & Friends by Barry Windsor-Smith. (Library.)
  • Yendi by Steven Brust. The 2nd (written) Vlad Taltos book. I'm quite enjoying these. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  • Aquaman: The Waterbearer by Rich Veitch & Yuel Guichet. In the late 80's, DC censored an issue of Swamp Thing that Veitch had created (after they initially gave it the go-ahead), and he swore never to work for them again. I have no idea what changed to make him change his mind. In his year on the title, Veitch connected Aquaman to Arthurian stories. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • Talent Operations Command Intelligence Bulletion No.2, Talent Operations Groups by Dennis Detwiller. This is a sourcebook for the Godlike role playing game of gritty superheroes in WWII.
  • Grendel Tales: Homecoming by Pat McEown & Dave Cooper.
  • Dragon Ball, vol. 15 by Akira Toriyama.
  • Shaman King, vol. 3 by Hiroyuki Takei.
  • Skidmarks: The Complete Bic Cycle by Ilya (a.k.a. Ed Hillier). The story of what a guy, Bic, goes through to get the money for a really nice bicyle.

No comments: