Monday, January 03, 2005

And let's see if I can also finish of the movies I saw last year.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Village of the Giants. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  • Return of the Living Dead.
  • The Osbournes, The 2nd Season. I think this idea had enough steam for one season.
  • The Big Lebowski. A noir story with a very un-noirish lead.
  • Futurama, vol. 4. This set was a birthday gift from Teena. I loved this series. Damn Fox anyway for treating it like crap. The Simpsons hasn't been worth watching for years, but it's still around. Futurama was as good as The Simpsons at its best, but it's gone.
  • Pirates of the Carribean interactive. Teena & I saw this at the Hollywood Theatre. It's an attempt to manufacture a Rocky Horror-like following for Pirates and felt a little artificial, but it was still a lot of fun. Swashbuckling goodness. And how can you go wrong with Johnny Depp?
  • MST3K: Tormented. (Teena.)
  • The West Wing, The Complete Second Season. I watched this at the beginning of November, and it helped me cope with the results of the election. (Library.)
  • MST3K: It Conquered the World. (Teena.)
  • MST3K: Gamera vs. Guiron. I find I really enjoy when MST3K did Japanese movies. They'e just so strange that making fun of them works all the more. This may have been the very first MST3K episode I ever saw (at Gemma & Dee's place in Pullman, WA one Thanksgiving years ago).
  • The Grudge. As I mentioned before, I enjoyed the Japanese version of this more than this one. Which is the opposite of how I felt about The Ring and the Japanese original. Maybe it just depends on which version I see first.
  • The Incredibles. Teena & I went to see this together. An amazing movie. Pixar just seems to get better & better (although I have to say that the short that preceeded the move did nothing for me). Great writing (as usual), wonderful casting (again as usual), and it just looks beautiful (yet again, as usual). Once Pixar's arrangement with Disney finishes up, I don't know that I'll have any reason to see any more new Disney movies.
  • Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow. A visually stunning movie (although there were scenes where it was obvious that the actors were in front of a blue screen), but it just didn't work that well for me. I couldn't stand Gwyneth Paltrow's character, and she & Jude Law just didn't have any chemistry. I wish Angelina Jolie had had a larger role.
  • Shaun of the Dead. Who'd have thought a zombie movie could be so much fun?
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous. Very funny. (Borrowed from Harmony & Topher.)
  • MST3K: Earth vs. the Spider. (Teena.)
  • Six Feet Under, the complete 2nd season. Great, great show. It makes me wish I could afford HBO. (Library.)
  • Invincible Pole Fighter. This was part of the Grindhouse Film Festival at the Hollywood Theatre: action movies from Hong Kong and Japan.
  • MST3K: Lost Continent. All I have to say about this movie is "rock climbing." (Teena.)
  • Clerks Uncensored.
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The special effects may have been cheesy, but I have a fond spot in my heart for this show. Simon Jones is Arthur Dent.
  • MST3K: High School Big Shot. When I borrowed this, Teena warned me that it was depressing. Boy was she right. The MST3K part is funny (as always), but the underlying movie has one of the bleakest views of human nature I've ever encountered. I was reminded of EC crime comics of the 50's, where every woman was either a shrew or a golddigger and every man was either a milquetoast or a cad. (Teena.)
  • Love Hina Again. Anime. (Library.)
  • Inu Yasha TV Special. This is a summary of what I assume was the first season of the Inu Yash TV show in Japan. Essentially it's a clip show.
  • Team America: World Police. Crude & offensive, this movie was great. Large amounts of the humor came from seeing marionettes do certain things, but underneath the puppet sex & violence there was some substance (not much, but some). Plus it's got a great soundtrack. All & all, kind of like the South Park movie.
  • Incident at Loch Ness. A documentary about Werner Herzog's attempt to make a movie about people who believe in the Loch Ness monster. Also about Hollywood attitudes.
  • It's a Wonderful Life. Teena had never seen this before, and she was as touched by it as I was seeing it for something like the 8th time.
  • Toys.
  • A Fish Called Wanda.
  • Sideways. Saw with Teena. Entertaining
  • Tron. Teena & I saw this on New Year's Eve before going to a friend's party. It's amazing how well so many of the special effects hold up. But I think that's because we haven't seen anything like it before or since. Lots of fun.


Well, that's my books & movie lists for 2004. I'll try to keep better caught up in 2005.

No comments: