Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I'm going to try to post more often this year (which means shorter entries).

Books
  1. Thieves & Kings, vol. 5: The Winter Book by Mark Oakley. This is a marvelous fantasy series that I just don't know how to describe. The art is manga-influenced, but it's more than simply an aping of Japanese style. I think part of the reason I can't simply sum up the comic is because it has a complex story & comes out quarterly (at best). I should reread the earlier volumes to remind myself just where this all started. I really enjoy this comic a lot and wish it was published more frequently.
  2. The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust. This story is set in the same world as Brust's Taltos novels but from about 1000 years before those books. The prose takes some getting used to, as Brust is writing in homage to and in the style of Dumas & Sabatini (from what I've read; I haven't actually read The Three Musketeers or Scaramouche). But once you become accustomed to the style, this is a lot of fun. The term "rollicking adventure" comes to mind. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  3. Noble Causes, vol. 2: Family Secrets by Jay Faerber & Ian Richardson. Superhero soap opera. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. Hulk/Wolverine: Six Hours by Bruce Jones & Scott Kolins. (Library.)
  5. Salmon Doubts by Adam Sacks. (Library.)
  6. Knights of the Zodiac, vol. 1 by Masami Kurumada. (Library.)


Movies
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Monster A Go-Go. (Teena.)
  • Fear & Trembling. This movie is about a Belgian woman who was born & lived her first 5 years in Japan who returns after college & works for a Japanese company for a year.


Gaming

When I was at Teena's this weekend, I played a little Katamari Damacy but mostly I spent time on Myst IV: Revelation. These games are always beautiful and have amazing puzzles. Teena is very far ahead of me in this game & helps me out with hints now & then. I'm glad she has played it so much more than I have. I gave her the previous game in the series (Uru) but ended up completing the game before she did. I feel guilty about that. At home I've been playing a lot of Pikmin lately. It's a fun little strategy game that I think may have a fair amount of replay value.

No comments: