Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I'm not sure I've ever posted on three consecutive days before, but I want to get caught up, and I'm still listing books I read in July.

  1. Marvel Team-Up, vol. 2: Master of the Ring by Robert Kirkman, Scott Kolins, and Paco Medina. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Marvel Team-Up, vol. 3: League of Losers by Robert Kirkman and Paco Medina, with Cory Walker. (Library.)
  3. Stagger Lee by Derek McCulloch & Shepherd Hendrix. I was very impressed with this examination of the history of the song(s) mixed with a story about the real people who inspired that song. (Library.)
  4. I Luv Halloween, vol. 2 by Keith Giffen & Benjamin Roman. (Library.)
  5. Pantheon: The Complete Script Book by Bill Willingham. I had never heard of the comic series, but I'm glad this script book exists, because it's quite good. I hope at some point there's a collection of the comics, because I'd like to see the art.
  6. The Batman Chronicles, vol. 1 by Bill Finger, Bob Kane, Gardner Fox. The very first Batman stories were something. Exactly what, I'm not sure.
  7. Fullmetal Alchemist Profiles by Hiromu Arakawa. (Library.)
  8. PS238, vol. 3: No Child Left Behind by Aaron Williams. More adventures of the students of the world's first grade school for superhumans. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  9. Concrete, vol. 6: Strange Armor by Paul Chadwick.
  10. Finder, vol. 8: Five Crazy Women by Carla Speed McNeil. The latest volume in McNeil's wonderful series of "aboriginal science fiction."
  11. Decimation: Generation M by Paul Jenkins and Roman Bachs. (Library.)
  12. The Originals by Dave Gibbons. This is fairly close to being "Quadrophenia : the Comic Book" but with science fiction trappings. Not that I mind. I'm just not sure why Gibbons chose to do this as SF rather than as a period piece.
  13. The Reaper of Love and Other Stories by Berni Wrightson. Various early stories by Wrightson.
  14. Star Wars: Clone Wars, vol. 9: Endgame by various. More John Ostrander stories are collected here.
  15. Bizenghast, vol. 1 by M. Alice LeGrow. An interesting concept (if a bit goth-y for my tastes), but at times the storytelling is a little muddled. (Library.)
  16. The Confusion by Neal Stephenson. This is the second volume of Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I had intended to go straight into this book after I finished the first volume. But these books are quite long and pretty densely written. It ended up being more than a year between the two. However, I intend to start the third book next week.
  17. Showcase Presents: Metamorpho by Bob Haney, Ramona Fradon, Sal Trapani, et al. I have no idea what (if anything) Haney was on, but he wrote some weird stories.
  18. Halsted Street: Torment and Drama from the Hog Butcher by Skip Williamson.
  19. The Incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit by Peter David and Lee Weeks. I wish David's return to the Hulk had sold better.
  20. Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth, vol. 1 by Jake Forbes & Chris Lie. I quite enjoyed this sequel to Labyrinth, but I with the art were a little more polished.
  21. Bleach, vol. 14: White Tower Rocks by Tite Kubo.
  22. Concrete, vol. 7: The Human Dilemma by Paul Chadwick. This story contains what may turn out to be Concrete's "jump the shark" moment. We'll see when (if?) Chadwick produces any more stories with these characters.
  23. Enemy Ace: War in Heaven by Garth Ennis, Chris Weston, and Russ Heath.
  24. Black Hole by Charles Burns. Wonderfully creepy.
  25. The New Avengers, vol. 1: Breakout by Brian Michael Bendis and David Finch


(By the way, this blog had its third anniversary last week.)

No comments: