Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm on a roll.

  1. H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds adapted by Ian Edginton and D'Israeli. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez. Hernandez's work doesn't grab me as it once did. (I think his best work may be Blood of Palomar.) But he's still damn good.
  3. Strange Killings: Necromancer by Warren Ellis & Mike Wolfer. Zombies.
  4. Hellspawn: The Ashley Wood Collection by Brian Michael Bendis, Steve Niles, and Ashley Wood. There's some beautiful art here, but the storytelling is terrible. Don't draw or paint comics if you can't show the reader what's going on. (Library.)
  5. Omega the Unknown Classic by Steve Gerber, Mary Skrenes, Jim Mooney, et al. It's amazing how wordy Gerber could be, especially considering that the title character doesn't speak in most of the comics collected here.
  6. A Man without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. It's been years since I read any Vonnegut. I'd forgotten how good he is. (Library.)
  7. Doom Patrol, vol. 4: Musclebound by Grant Morrison, Richard Case, et al. I say this every time, but I am so, so happy that these comics are being collected. I just hope the Flex Mentallo mini-series gets its own book or at least shows up in a future Doom Patrol volume.
  8. Playback: A Graphic Novel by Raymond Chandler, adapted by Ted Benoit and Francois Ayroles. (Library.)
  9. Batman: Face the Face by James Robinson, Don Kramer, and Leonard Kirk. Robinson's return to comics doesn't rank with his best work, but it's still pretty good.
  10. Platinum Grit, Book One by Trudy Cooper, Danny Murphy, and Doug Bayne. Odd stuff.
  11. Fullmetal Alchemist, vol. 9 by Hiromu Arakawa. It wasn't until I read this & the previous volume that I realized that the anime series diverged from its source material. Still enjoying this, especially now that I don't know what's coming next.
  12. Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, vol. 3.
  13. Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, vol. 4. Based on his more recent work, I had forgotten how good Byrne used to be. These are really solid, entertaining superhero comics.
  14. Dzur by Steven Brust. I hope there's not as large a gap between this & the next Taltos book as there was between this and the previous one. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  15. Bleach, vol. 15: Beginning of the Death of Tomorrow by Tite Kubo. The Bleach anime series recently began airing on Adult Swim. While we were watching it, Teena asked if there was any explanation why the title was "Bleach." I had to tell her that after 15 volumes of the manga, I still had no idea.
  16. Zombie Powder, vol. 1: The Man with the Black Hand by Tite Kubo.
  17. Fantastic Four: The Life Fantastic by J. Michael Straczynski, Mike McKone, et al.
  18. The Gremlins by Roald Dahl. Apparently this is Dahl's first book, and it's been out of print since WWII. I'm glad it's available again, but I have to say that Dahl got much better.

No comments: