Saturday, October 07, 2006

This entry should get me all caught up.
  1. Fantastic Four: Books of Doom by Ed Brubaker and Pablo Raimondi. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Emma Frost, vol. 1: Higher Learning by Karl Bollers and Randy Green. (Library.)
  3. Superman: For Tomorrow, vol. 2 by Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee. Azzarello's writing style is simply not suited to Superman. And I have to say that Lee's artwork doesn't grab me. It never has; and I just don't understand the affection a lot of people seem to have for it. (Library.)
  4. Iron Empires, vol. 2: Sheva's War by Christopher Moeller. Apparently the Multnomah County library system only has one copy of the first volume of this series, and that is listed as missing. So I had to start with volume two. I quite liked this science fiction story that uses the same setting as the Burning Empires role playing game. (Library.)
  5. Dragon Head, vol. 1 by Minetaro Mochizuki. Online controversy about this manga series (the publisher had decided to stop supplying it to stores and to only sell it directly; the online ruckus caused them to change their minds) got me to check this out. It's good, and I think I'll be picking up further volumes. (Library.)
  6. The Avengers: Kang - Time and Time Again by various. (Library.)
  7. Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan and niko Henrichon. This is very good. The only problem I have with it is the same one that all the reviews I've read have mentioned: we have difficulty with the idea that lions rape.
  8. Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man by Peter David, Mike Wieringo, and Roger Cruz. It's nice to see David back on Spider-Man. Now if only there would be a moritorium on editorially-mandated cross-overs and arbitrary changes. (Everybody knows the costume change will be undone by the time the third movie is released.)
  9. The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket. I'm really looking forward to The End, and this book provides some tantalizing hints about the mysteries of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
  10. Free Comic Book Day Tokyopop Sneaks by various.
  11. Fallen Angel, vol. 1: To Serve in Heaven by Peter David and J.K. Woodward.
  12. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion by Don Rosa.
  13. Neil Gaiman by Steven P. Olson. This book is part of "The Library of Graphic Novelists." It looked interesting, but it was too expensive, so I didn't buy it. Then my local comic book store had a big sale, so I picked up a copy. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this. It's okay, but it's clearly written for an audience of teenagers. This is intended for high school (or junior high) libraries. I'm really glad I didn't pick up any of the other books in the series.
  14. A Distant Soil, vol. 1: The Gathering by Colleen Doran. Volume four of this series came out several months back. However, since it has been several years since volume three was published, I decided to reread the previous volumes before tackling the new one. It's taken me this long to get around to starting that project. Doran is a fantastic artist, and has great storytelling skills. And she draws lots of pretty, pretty people.
  15. Essential X-Factor, vol. 1 by various. This started out as an example of editorially-mandated comics. Somebody wanted the original X-Men back together, even though one of them was dead. And we got a mediocre comic book with a stupid premise (if anti-mutant hysteria is on the rise, what would possess a group of mutants to think it would be good idea to pose as high-profile mutant hunters?). But once Louise Simonson took over the writing (especially once her husband Walt took over on the art), the comic got much better.
  16. Spike vs. Dracula by Peter David, Joe Corroney, and Zach Howard. The story of why Spike hates Dracula.


There. Caught up. Five months of books listed in a week.

No comments: