Saturday, March 31, 2007

Making Up for Lost Time
Well, after a slow week last time, I've read quite a few more books this week.
  1. Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, vol. 1: Once and Future King by Kurt Busiek & Butch Guice. Fairly good, but I don't know that I'll be buying this. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Spider-Man India by Jeevan J. Kang et al. You'd think that a retelling of Spider-Man's origin, reset in India, would be more interesting. You'd be wrong. (Library.)
  3. Hikaru no Go, vol. 3: Preliminary Scrimmage by Yumi Hotta & Takeshi Obata. More manga about a board game.
  4. Blue Beetle: Shellshocked by Keith Giffen, John Rogers, Cully Hamner, et al. Nice solid superheroics, although the first chapter expects too much from the reader in terms of knowledge of "current events" in the DC universe. If you need to be reading the current big comics event to understand what's going on in the first issue of a new series, you're doing something wrong.
  5. Small Favors, Book 1 by Colleen Coover
  6. Harlan Ellison's Dream Corridor, vol. 2 by Harlan Ellison, et al. A collection of adaptations of short stories by Ellison. Say what you will about the man, he can write.
  7. The Dark Tower, Book 3: The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I had read the first two volumes of this series around the time that they were published, but I never got any further than that. I am continuing to enjoy these books, and Teena is eager for me to continue. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  8. Rock Bottom by Joe Casey & Charlie Adlard. I'm not sure I buy the ending, but overall, this is a very well-done story about a guy who is slowly turning to stone. (Library.)
  9. Franklin Richards: Lab Brat by Chris Eliopoulous & Marc Sumerak. Cute little stories about the son of Mr. Fantastic & the Invisible Woman. There is a definite (deliberate) resemblance to Calvin & Hobbes. Fun.
  10. Dungeon, Twilight, v.2: Armageddon by Joann Sfar, Lewis Trondheim, & Kerascoet. (Library.)
  11. Testament, vol. 1: Akedah by Douglas Rushkoff & Liam Sharp. While not nearly as bad as Club Zero-G, this still rubs me the wrong way. I think I would have liked it better if it weren't for Rushkoff's introduction, in which he comes off as arrogant & positive he has all the answers. (Library.)
  12. Club 9, vol. 3 by Makoto Kobayashi. (Library.)
  13. Girl Crazy by Gilbert Hernandez.
  14. Monster, vol. 4: Ayse's Friend by Naoki Urasawa. (Library.)
  15. Fullmetal Alchemist, vol. 12 by Hiromu Arakawa. As this goes along, it diverges more & more from the anime series. Since this is the original source material, I find myself curious as to the time-line for when each version was created.
  16. Claymore, vol. 5: The Slashers by Norihiro Yagi. (Library.)
  17. John Constantine, Hellblazer: Black Flowers by Mike Carey, Marcelo Frusin, et al. More horror comics.
  18. Ranma 1/2, vol. 32 by Rumiko Takahashi. More silly fun. (Library.)
  19. Ultimate X-Men, vol. 6 by Brian K. Vaughan, Stuart Immonen, et al.
  20. Usagi Yojimbo, vol. 1 by Stan Sakai. I recently got Teena hooked on this series. It's been quite a while since I read the early volumes, so I decided it was time to re-read these books. Sakai's art style is a little rough in this volume, but his storytelling skills are great right from the beginning. And I know how good the art gets. I'm looking forward to the rest of these books.

No comments: