Sunday, March 04, 2007

So Much for Resolutions
It only took me a little over 2 months to violate my New Year's Resolution to update at least once a week. Still, I'm only a day late.

Books
  1. Checkmate: A King's Game by Greg Rucka, Jesus Saiz, Cliff Richards, et al. Spies & superheroes.
  2. Hellshock by Jae Lee.
  3. John Constantine, Hellblazer: Red Sepulchre by Mike Carey, Marcelo Frusin, & Steve Dillon. Carey's Sandman spin-off, Lucifer never worked for me, but I quite liked his run on Hellblazer, and decided it was time I started picking up the collections.
  4. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. I have decided to reread the entire series in preparation for the seventh volume, but I don't want to be reading them all back to back in July, so I'm starting now.
  5. Hero Squared, vol. 2 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, and Joe Abraham. Light-hearted super-hero fare.
  6. Alan Moore's Exit Interview by Bill Baker. Moore's thoughts on the comic industry & why he has pretty much left the field.
  7. Claymore, vol. 4: Marked for Death by Norihiro Yagi. (Checked out of the library.)
  8. Daredevil, vol. 13: The Murdock Papers by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev. Bendis's final story for this comic.
  9. Hellboy: Weird Tales, vol. 2 by various. Other people tackle Hellboy & associated characters.
  10. Jack of Fables, vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges, and Tony Akins. Fables spin-off.
  11. Hikaru no Go, vol. 2: First Battle by Yumi Hotta & Takeshi Obata.


Movies & TV
  • Return to Oz. I remember Siskel & Ebert panning this when it came out. Their problem was that it wasn't like the Judy Garland movie. I suspected that Return was more like the original books. When I finally saw it years later, my suspicion was confirmed. If you like Baum's books, this is a great movie.
  • The Departed. Jack Nicholson just gets scarier & scarier as he ages.
  • Arrested Development, Season 3.
  • Walk the Line.
  • The Ring 2. Not nearly as scary as the first one. Due largely, I think, to the fact that the viewer has at least an idea of what's going on. And, the deer attack is just ludicrous.
  • Pan's Labyrinth. Very good, but in places it can be hard to take.
  • Doctor Who: The Ark in Space. Rather enjoyable, but I had forgotten just how low the special effects budget for this show used to be. There are several scenes where a character is turning into a slimy monster, but it's clear that he is just covered in bubble-wrap that has been painted green.
  • Notting Hill. I had never seen this before, but I quite enjoyed it. That scarcely seems surprising considering that I have also enjoyed other romantic comedies written by Richard Curtis: Love Actually and Four Weddings & a Funeral.


And with that, I have finally caught up with movies.

1 comment:

Dan B (no, not Bennett, think harder) said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, There is an exciting and popular new group on Yahoo called THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE. The group features hours of ultra rare and unreleased downloadable audio files by Judy, great photo's, lively discussion, and more! The membership is the most ecletic gathering of Garland fans anywhere and includes Judy's family members, friends, people who worked with her and saw her perform, directors and producers of Garland related projects, authors of Judy biographies, historians, and more! The only thing missing is you. Please stop by our little Judyville, and check it out, you may never want to leave!
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/