Saturday, May 12, 2007

Non-reading Week

Thanks to the Wii, I haven't been spending a lot of time reading this week, so the update is short.

  1. Usagi Yojimbo, vol. 8: Shades of Death by Stan Sakai. I had most of the books in this series, but there were a couple gaps in my collection, and some others had suffered water damage (the roof of the place where I had them stored leaks). The trigger that got me to fill in the missing volumes (and to start re-reading) was that I showed a volume to Teena, and she really liked it. I couldn't leave her hanging, could I?
  2. Empowered, vol. 1 by Adam Warren. Light-hearted fare about a superheroine who suffers from low self-confidence. It starts off a little rough, but the story soon comes together.


See, I told you it was short. I guess that's a good excuse to update movies, since I haven't done that in a while.

  • This Is Spinal Tap. As far as I know, this is the first mocumentary. It remains one of the best. It certainly is one of the most quotable movies I've seen.
  • Sullivan's Travels. Very funny. A classic.
  • The Lost Room. The ads for this SciFi Channel mini-series caused Teena & me to forever after call it "The Scary Door", but we ended up enjoying quite a bit. There were some plot holes, and it was clearly designed as a pilot. If it had done well enough in the ratings, it would have become an on-going series. Still, it did provide me some fodder for my upcoming In Nomine campaign.
  • Some Like It Hot. Marilyn Monroe may have played air-heads, but she could act. And damn she was sexy. Oh yeah, Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis were also great in this.
  • Little Voice. I was extremely surprised to learn that Jane Horrocks did all her own singing for this movie.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa. Neither Teena nor I cared for this sequel to the anime series.

No comments: