Sunday, September 23, 2007

Another Light Week

  1. The Authority: Revolution, Book 1 by Ed Brubaker & Dustin Nguyen. I finally got a copy of book two, but it had been so long since I read book one that I decided to reread it.
  2. The Authority: Revolution, Book 2 by Ed Brubaker & Dustin Nguyen.
  3. Iron Wok Jan!, vol. 12 by Shinji Saijyo. I made a difference at the local library. I had been been checking out volumes from this series, but I had to stop after volume 11, because the original US publisher went out of business. I found the ISBN for volume 12 (from the new publisher), and requested it. Now the Multnomah County Library system has all the volumes of this manga series (at least the ones that have been translated. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. Imagination Rocket: Science and Social Studies Volume by various. I picked this (along with a lot of other books) up at a local comic book store that was having a sale before shutting its doors. This book is intended for use in a classroom (my guess would be junior high). After each story, there is a page of study questions & activities. The stories vary in quality, and sometimes don't do much toward promoting learning. But it is an interesting concept, and I'd like to see more of this kind of thing.
  5. Civil War: The Road to Civil War by various. (Library.)
  6. DMZ, vol. 3: Public Works by Brian Wood & Richard Burchielli. This excellent war comic continues, with this volume taking a look at "Trustwell" an independent contractor hired to rebuild certain significant locations in the DMZ (Manhattan). Just think "Blackwater." Brutal, gripping comics.
  7. Green Lantern: No Fear by Geoff Johns, et al. Johns is a good enough writer, but sometimes I don't care for his style. However, I liked this volume quite a bit. Writing Hal Jordan seems to be Johns' niche. (Library.)
  8. Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang. This is a fantastic story about the oddball characters from comics' past that don't fit anywhere anymore: from a talking Nazi gorilla to the ultimate skeptic to the ghost of a Confederate general who haunts a WWII tank. It doesn't feel like the sort of thing Azzarello normally writes, but it's a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed it.
  9. Civil War: Amazing Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski & Ron Garney. From what I've heard, the powers that be at Marvel have said that Iron Man's side in Civil War was supposed to be the one in the right. But all of the comics I've read show him in a negative light, and it's clear that he is now a super-villain (albeit one with government backing). I don't know what to make of that disconnect. (Library.)
  10. Project X: Cup Noodle by Todashi Katoh. Man, only the Japanese would produce a comic book about the development of Cup Noodles. But then somebody has translated it into English, and I bought the damn thing, so it's not like I'm in a position to cast aspersions. Yes, you read that correctly. This is a documentary comic about how Nissin developed Cup O'Noodles. Make of that what you will.

No comments: