Sunday, September 30, 2007

Yet Another Light Week

Didn't get many books read this week, so I'll take this opportunity to update my sidebar.

  1. 52, vol. 3 by various.
  2. Hellboy, vol. 7: The Troll Witch & Others by Mike Mignola, Richard Corben, & P. Craig Russell. Yay, a new Hellboy book! Normally, I prefer that only Mignola draw Hellboy, since he's clearly the best artist for the character. But Corben & Russell are fantastic artists, and I really enjoyed seeing their versions.
  3. Civil War: Fantastic Four by J. Michael Straczynski, Dwayne McDuffie, & Mike McKone. (Checked out of the library.)
  4. Shiny Beasts by Rick Veitch. Miscellanea from Veitch, including a story written by Alan Moore. (Library.)
  5. Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, vol. 4 by Walter Simonson & Sal Buscema. I miss Simonson's art on this series, but Buscema does a fine job. Perhaps not the most epic of stories from this era of Thor, but plenty entertaining.
  6. Sluggy Freelance Megatome 01: Born of Nifty by Pete Abrams. I had heard good things about the webcomic Sluggy Freelance, and I had come into a windfall, so I decided to take a chance on ordering this compilation of the first three (out of print) collections. It was pricey, but it was worth it, because I really enjoyed this book. (But I do have to say that Abrams found a better deal on printing the second megatome, and it's only half the price of the first.) It's hard to describe what Sluggy Freelance is about. There are a lot of pop culture parodies, but sometimes it's just jokes or adventures or wackiness. Lots of fun.
  7. Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia by Greg Rucka & J.G. Jones. I picked this up at that comic book sale I mentioned last week. While I like the story, this book is overpriced, and I would not have bought it if it hadn't been on sale.
  8. Captain Confederacy: The Nature of the Hero by Will Shetterly & Vince Stone. While the premise of this book, a superhero story set in an alternate history where the South succeeded in seceding from the Union, makes it sound like a racist fantasy, but it's not. It's about a good man realizing that the country he loves is in the wrong. This book is a collection (and condensation) of a series that ran for twelve issues nearly twenty years ago, and it's good to see that the story still holds up.

No comments: