Sunday, December 07, 2008

Breaking 500

  1. Local by Brian Wood & Ryan Kelly. Great stories about a young woman, presented in a beautifully-designed book. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Chamber of Mystery: Witchcraft, vol. 1 by various. Pre-comics code horror stories. Not from EC, not actually all that good, but still interesting.
  3. Good-Bye by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Alternative manga from the 70s. (Library.)
  4. DC Goes Ape by various. Stories featuring gorillas. Once DC's forte.
  5. I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert, et al. Colbert's tone doesn't quite come across without him delivering the lines, but still quite funny.
  6. Tales of the Multiverse: Batman - Vampire by Doug Moench and Kelly Jones. Nice, creepy artwork, but the writing is overwrought.
  7. The Death of the New Gods by Jim Starlin. Cosmic Sturm und Drang that was undone by another writer even quicker than is usual in comics (because DC's editors apparently don't talk to each other). (Library.)
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, pt. 2 by Akira Himekawa. I enjoyed this adaptation of the video game, but I doubt I'll get further volumes in the series, since they'll be adapting games I haven't played. I may pick this series up again if they get to Wind Waker.
  9. Thor Visionaries: Mike Deodato Jr. by Warren Ellis, William Messner-Loebs, & Mike Deodato Jr. I can't say I'm actually a fan of Deodato, but I do like Ellis & Messner-Loebs' writing, and I found this for half price.
  10. Order of the Stick, vol. 3: War & XPs by Rich Berlew. The latest collection of the web comic.

No comments: