Monday, December 15, 2008

Cold Weather

Because Portland got a lot of snow yesterday (more than Vancouver did), my workplace is shut down today, so I am enjoying a surprise 3-day weekend. Anyway, on to the books I read last week.

  1. FreakAngels, vol. 1 by Warren Ellis & Paul Duffield. The first (of I hope many) collection of a web comic I really enjoy. I look forward to it each week, but it reads even better when collected.
  2. The Couriers, vol. 1 by Brian Wood & Rob G. Big, loud action comic. (Checked out of the library.)
  3. The Couriers, vol. 2: Dirtbike Manifesto by Brian Wood & Rob G. (Library.)
  4. The Couriers, vol. 3: The Ballad of Johnny Funwrecker by Brian Wood & Rob G. (Library.)
  5. Fables, vol. 11: War & Pieces by Bill Willingham & Mark Buckingham. This volume wraps up the major story that's been brewing since the very beginning of this series.
  6. Aqua Leung, vol. 1 by Mark Smith & Paul Maybury. Pretty standard adventure story that could have used some proofreading. The art is pretty, but the story feels extremely generic. (Library.)
  7. X-Men First Class: Band of Brothers by Jeff Parker, Roger Cruz, et al. More angst-free X-Men stories. Yay!
  8. Superman vs. Brainiac by various. I wish Amazon had the actual cover image for this book (they often do not have the actual cover image for graphic novels); it's a terrible cover. First, and most importantly, it's ugly. But also, it's impossible to tell whether Superman is winding up to punch Brainiac in the face or if he's turning tail to run because Brainiac scares the crap out of him. I'm sure it's the former, but if it is Superman is seriously overbalanced, and would fall right over. (Although I guess that is less of a concern when you can fly.)
  9. Omega the Unknown by Jonathan Lethem & Farel Dalrymple, with Karl Rusnak. Lethem's reworking of one of Steve Gerber's stranger (and that's saying something) 1970s comics. (Library.)
  10. JLA/Avengers by Kurt Busiek & George Perez. Nice of DC & Marvel to finally collect this in an affordable format.
  11. In Me Own Words: The Autobiography of Bigfoot by Graham Roumieu. This just didn't work for me. There were funny bits, but for the most part, this left me cold. (Library.)
  12. Marvel Adventures Iron Man: Armored Avenger by Fred Van Lente, et al.
  13. Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi. Yeah, I've read this before, but those times I checked it out of the library. I finally picked up a copy because Amazon had it for sale at like 60% off.
  14. 100 Bullets, vol. 12: Dirty by Brian Azzarello & Eduardo Risso. Heading toward the series climax in the next volume. (Library.)
  15. Ultimate Iron Man vs. Hulk: Ultimate Human by Warren Ellis & Cary Nord. Somewhat overpriced, but a good example of Ellis's superhero work.
  16. Thunderbolts, vol. 2: Caged Angels by Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato Jr. Ellis does even better when writing supervillains (and still better when writing characters he created & owns). And Deodato's artwork has improved since the 90s (see last week's post).
  17. Batman: Ego and Other Tails by Darwyn Cooke. No, that's not a typo. There is a Catwoman story in this collection. Gorgeous artwork.
  18. Artesia by Mark Smylie. I had been interested in this book for quite a while, but never enough to spend the money on it. Then I found a copy for half price, so I gave it a try. Despite having to keep track of a huge number of strange names (too often par for the course in fantasy settings), I quite liked this, and I'll be looking for later volumes, even if they aren't discounted 50%.
  19. Essex County, vol. 3: The Country Nurse by Jeff Lemire. Touching end to the trilogy. (Library.)

No comments: