Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday

Stumptown was a lot of fun. I picked up some interesting books and wish I could have afforded to get even more.

  1. Thor: The Mighty Avenger, vol. 2 by Roger Langridge & Chriss Samnee. This was a great series. I wish it had lasted longer than 8 issues. Great, all-ages comic. Plenty of super-hero fights, but it's really about Thor & Jane Foster dating.
  2. Marvel Adventures Avengers, vol. 10: Invasion by Paul Tobin, et al. More fun all-ages comics.
  3. Dar!: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, vol. 1 by Erika Moen. This is one of the things I picked up at Stumptown. This is a collection of Moen's autobiographical web comic (which she has stopped doing and moved onto a new web comic. Very good and extremely personal. I will have to pick up volume 2 when I can.
  4. Space: A Couscous Collective Collection by various. Anthology of space-themed stories picked up at Stumptown. A higher percentage of good stories than most anthologies.
  5. Fables, vol. 14: Witches by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, et al. Not willing to buy this series anymore, but interested enough to borrow it. (Checked out of the library.)
  6. Phoenix Without Ashes by Harlan Ellison & Alan Robinson.

    Comics adaptation of a story Ellison wrote for the pilot of a 1970s television show The Starlost. (Ellison removed his name from the show before the pilot episode aired.)
  7. Marvel Adventures Avengers: Thor by Paul Tobin & Scott Koblish. Tobin has a real knack for these all-ages comics.
  8. Sweet Tooth, vol. 2: In Captivity by Jeff Lemire. I enjoyed the first volume, but it didn't really grab me. This volume did. (Library.)
  9. Unwritten, vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock by Mike Carey & Peter Gross.

    God, I love this series. This is the best comic Vertigo has published since Sandman. It is all about stories and how they affect the world. Plus, there is adventure. Read this comic. Do it.
  10. I, Zombie, vol. 1: Dead to the World by Chris Roberson & Mike Allred. Enjoyable comic about a zombie who passes as living and her adventures in Eugene, Oregon.
  11. Powers, vol. 12: The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time by Brian Michael Bendis & Michael Avon Oeming. I had a sense of deja vu while reading this, but I was a third of the way into it before the nagging sense of familiarity resolved itself into certainty that I had read it before. (Almost exactly a year ago.) While I enjoyed it, it doesn't say much for the story's memorability. (Library.)
  12. Marvel Adventures: Black Widow and the Avengers by Paul Tobin, Ig Guara, et al. Bought this directly from Tobin at Stumptown.
  13. Essential Marvel Two-in-One, vol. 2 by various. Marvel's 1970s-80s team-up title featuring the Thing.

Only one movie this time, so I'll save it for next week.

No comments: