Friday, December 12, 2003

Books
Well, in the week since I added said anything about the supposed purpose of this page, I have read
  • Nightmare Alley by William L. Gresham & adapted by underground cartoonist Spain. Noir story of the rise & fall of a sideshow mentalist.
  • Scatterbrain by various. Humorous comics.
  • Fray: Future Slayer by Joss Whedon & Karl Moline. The creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer takes a look at Buffy's world a few hundred years in the future. I quite enjoyed this & hope he writes more comics.
  • Fagin the Jew by Will Eisner. The grand-master of comics reclaims Dickens' character and tells his story in such a way as to make him sympathetic.
  • Unlikely: Or How I Lost My Virginity by Jeffrey Brown. An autobiographical graphic novel. Scratchy drawings but a compelling story.
  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. I'm reading this for The Usual Suspects' book club for December. It's always nice when a childhood favorite holds up when reread as an adult. And Jules Feiffer's illustrations suit the book perfectly.
  • Joan, Book III by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko.
  • Exiles, v.2: A World Apart by Judd Winick, Mike McKone, and Jim Caliafiore. This is a cross between the X-Men and Quantum Leap, written by a guy who is probably best known for appearing in MTV's The Real World: San Francisco. I quite like this series, although not quite enough to buy the collections. But I'm more than happy to read the library's copies.

Movies
The only movie I've watched recently is Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music. But I have recently purchaced Millenium Actress

No comments: