Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Boy, I really haven't been keeping this thing up to date, have I? Catch-up time.

Books
  • Hammer of the Gods: Mortal Enemy by Michael Avon Oeming and Mark Obie Wheatley.
  • Miss: Better Living through Crime by Philippe Therault, Marc Riou, and Mark Vigouroux. French crime comics set in Manhattan in the 20's.
  • The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings by various. I actually started this anthology when it came out, back in October. But it's taken me until now to finish the last couple of things in it.
  • Pop Gun War by Farel Dalrymple.
  • Crayon Shinchan by Yoshito Usui. Manga about a bratty 5-year-old.
  • Heavy Liquid by Paul Pope. I liked this quite a bit. More than I have Pope's other works, but still not enough to buy it. The library is my friend.
  • This morning I started Sandman Presents: Taller Tales by Bill Willingham and a variety of artists. This is a collection of stories spun off of characters Neil Gaiman created. I have some problems with some of the Sandman spin-offs; too serious, too self-important, & too gothy. That's not a problem here.


Movies
I've been watching a few DVDs
  • Down from the Mountain. A concert film of the music that was featured in O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • My Fair Lady. I think this is the first Audrey Hepburn movie I've ever seen. Throughout the movie I was struck by how much Rex Harrison's Henry Higgins reminded me of some of the characters that Michael McKean plays (although I couldn't name a specific one; certainly not David St. Hubbins).
  • Repo Man> (Now there's an odd juxtaposition of movies.)
  • And last Friday night, Teena & I went to see Love Actually. It was a great movie, and it's not just the company I had that's making me say that. Lots of characters, and lots of stories, but you can keep them all straight. Some excellent performances, especially by Emma Thompson. Highly recommended.

No comments: