Monday, April 12, 2004

Haven't read too many books lately, so that update can wait another day or so.

But I did make a new mix CD over the weekend, so here's the track listing for Foolishness

1. "Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel" from Go Simpsonic with the Simpsons
2. The Lemonheads - "My Hero, Zero" from Schoolhouse Rock Rocks!
3. "Weird Al" Yankovic - "Dare to be stupid from Dare to Be Stupid
4. The Ramones - "Pinhead" from Ramones Mania
5. They Might Be Giants - "I Should Be Allowed to Think from John Henry
6. "Mayor" from The City of Soundsville: Music from The Powerpuff Girls
7. Tom Waits - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up from Bone Machine
8. Elvis Costello - "How to Be Dumb from Mighty Like a Rose
9. k.d. lang & the reclines - "Luck in My Eyes" from Absolute Torch & Twang
10. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - "The Rascal King" from Let's Face It
11. Oingo Boingo - "Grey Matter" from farewell
12. The Commitments - "Chain of Fools" from The Commitments soundtrack
13. Buddy Holly - "Fool's Paradise" from Greatest Hits
14. Richard Thompson - "The Fool" from 1000 Years of Popular Music
15. Elvis Costello - "I'll Wear It Proudly" fromKing of America
16. The Beatles - "The Fool on the Hill" from Magical Mystery Tour
17. Thomas Dolby - "My Brain Is Like a Sieve" from Aliens Ate My Buick
18. Beau Soleil - "L'Amour ou la Folie" from L'Amour ou la Folie
19. Indigo Girls - "Closer to Fine" from Indigo Girls
20. Aimee Mann - "Wise Up" from the Magnolia soundtrack
21. Christine Collister - "How Will I Ever Be Simple Again" from The World Is a Wonderful Place: The Songs of Richard Thompson
22. Elvis Costello & the Attractions - "Clowntime Is Over" from Get Happy!!

This is a re-working of a tape mix I did several years ago, but it hasn't been re-worked all that much: 13 of the songs from the tape made it onto the CD. I went for a rather broad interpretation of "foolishness", including such aspects as trickster figures & simple luck. And "My Hero, Zero" is meant to recall the tarot card The Fool.

I went searching on the web for a picture of The Fool to use in the insert. It then occurred to me that some of my other mixes could match other tarot cards (especially if you use broad and/or superficial readings of the cards): Abracadabra for The Magician, Memento Mori for Death, Ol' Scratch Mix for The Devil. And I've got ideas for more mixes that will also fit: I think The Chariot would work for the mix I'll do about cars & driving, etc. So now I have a long-term, low-priority project of doing mix CDs for all twenty-two major arcana.

No comments: