Monday, April 26, 2004

Yeah, I know I haven't updated in a while. But the books will have to wait just a little longer because I have news.

I have a job interview tomorrow! I got a call late Friday afternoon, and it was somebody from the Watzek Library at Lewis & Clark responding to the application I had submitted. I know I've still got to do well at the interview, but just getting the call was a tremendous boost for me. I'd been feeling rather unmarketable, and I hope I do well tomorrow. (I've had an interview at Lewis & Clark before, and I tanked that very badly, but I'm not going to think about that now.) Wish me luck.

Anyway, on to the books I've read since I last updated.

  • Maison Ikkoku, vol. 4 by Rumiko Takahashi. More romantic comedy manga.
  • HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha by Robin Laws & Greg Stafford. I finally finished the rule book for a game I've been playing for months (albeit not that often). Glorantha is the best world I've seen for any role playing game.
  • Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and Joseph Campbell: In Search of the Modern Myth by Stephen Rauch. I think this was Rauch's dissertation or something. It's pretty interesting, although there are sections where he uses a lot of words to say very little, and he has a tendency to repeat himself.
  • Mr. Monster: His Book of Forbidden Knowledge, vol. 0 by Michael T. Gilbert.
  • Blood of the Valiant by Chris Pramas with Keith Baker. A supplement for the Feng Shui role playing game, this book gives details of the Guiding Hand faction. This is a re-release of an out of print book, but it includes a new chapter.
  • To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust. I've been hearing good things about Brust for quite a while now, but I've never read anything he's written (except for his half of Freedom & Necessity by him & Emma Bull). This is an unusual (and very good) take on the rebellion in Heaven. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  • Hellboy: Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola with John Byrne. I hadn't read this since I first bought the collection, years ago, so I thought I'd reread it to see how the movie compares. It's a reasonable adaptation. The dialogue in the book doesn't feel quite right to me, but I've become somewhat prejudiced against John Byrne in recent years.
  • The Batman Beyond Files by Scott Sonneborn & Liz Lewis. (Checked out of the library.)
  • Naruto, vol. 3 by Masashi Kishimoto.
  • Avengers Forever by Kurt Busiek, Roger Stern, & Carlos Pacheco. An adventure story that involves more Avengers continuity than anybody could be reasonably expected to know. Fortunately, you don't need to know it to understand the story.
  • Mike Mignola's B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth & Other Stories by various. These are Bureau of Paranormal Research & Defense stories that don't feature Hellboy. Mignola wrote a couple of them & provided some of the art.
  • Dragon Ball Z, vol. 15 by Akira Toriyama.
  • Red/Tokyo Storm Warning by Warren Ellis, Cully Hamner, & James Raiz. A flip-book of a couple short series Ellis wrote. One is about giant robots & monsters in Tokyo, the other about a retired CIA agent.
  • 24 Hour Comics by various. Sometime in the early 90's, Scott McCloud challenged Steve Bissette to produce a 24 page comic book in the space of 24 hours. The meme spread, and this book is a collection of nine of the best 24-hour comics produced since that challenge.

No comments: