Thursday, December 02, 2004

If I wait until I write about ACT, I'm never going to get caught up on the book list, so here we go. (Descriptions may be a little short because I'm so far behind that I don't want to get too bogged down. Also, I may not remember much on some of these.)

  • Just a Pilgrim by Garth Ennis & Carlos Ezquerra.
  • Manhattan Beach 1957 by Yves H. & Hermann. (Checked out of the library.)
  • Three Days in Europe by Anthony Johnston & Mike Hawthorne. (Library.)
  • Crossfire, vol. 1: Hollywood Hero by Mark Evanier & Dan Spiegle. This comic was a spin-off of DNAgents, but I like it a lot better. That's because it's not so much about superheroics as it is about Hollywood. In fact, my favorite part of this comics (which unfortunately isn't getting reprinted) were essays Evanier wrote about his experiences working in the entertainment industry.
  • The Doom Patrol, vol. 2: The Painting that Ate Paris by Grant Morrison & Richard Case. I am thrilled that DC is finally reprinting the rest of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. This was one of the funnest (and strangest) comics ever. How can you not love a comic where the bad-guy group is called The Brotherhood of Dada (and who includes The Quiz, who has every superpower you haven't thought of)? Plus, this collection contains the issue with the fight between two disembodied brains.
  • Green Arrow: The Archer's Quest by Brad Meltzer & Phil Hester. (Library.)
  • Summerland by Michael Chabon. Man, I love this book. I would have enjoyed it even more if it had been written when I was 10. A very nearly perfect children's book. Plus, it contains a journey across mythic America that goes from west to east. And as somebody who has lived on the Left Coast my entire life, it is wonderful to see the west not depicted as unexplored wilderness.
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Rereading one book about myths and America made me want to reread another.
  • Hi-Horse Omnibus, vol. 1 by various. (Library.)
  • Mr. Monster: Worlds War II by Michael T. Gilbert.
  • Godwalker by Greg Stolze. This is a privately published, limited edition (200 copies) novel by Stolze, set in the world of the Unknown Armies role-playing game. Good, but the prose struck me as a little flat. But that's probably because I'd recently read books by Chabon & Gaiman (not to mention Faulkner a little before that).
  • Superman: Return to Krypton by various. (Library.)
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens by Greg Rucka & Klaus Janson. (Library.)


Well, now I'm only 2 months behind on keeping this list updated. That's enough for now.

No comments: